Any other SIL2 joysticks on the market?

modiconguy

It's been over a decade since Bosch Rexroth announced their SIL2 joystick for vehicles using multiple axes and interfacing with CAN/J1939.

My application is a marine winch controlled with one or more single-axis joysticks. The safety system is being designed with CIP safety sensors to interface with the M580 PLC, so the vehicle-type interfaces would be a burden. Does anyone know of a product that would fit here?

Cavotec makes a nice line of EX-rated remotes that support a bunch of different protocols (including CANopen and Modbus). Very common to see these units integrated into winches and other hydraulic machinery in the offshore industry. I've found them to be quite robust, easy to troubleshoot, and they hold up well in the field.

-Trevor
3-6-ex_1_thumb_500.png

Reading into their product page, it seems like the SIL features are start/stop and on/off, which we could accomplish easily on our own since we don't need anything to be wireless. What I'm looking for is safety compatibility with the analog function of the joystick (obviously can be converted to digital to do CIP) for our application, like the product I posted had. I'm triggering the safety as soon as the joystick fails, not waiting for the operator to press a button.