I have a spare CLogix...

skeet

Lifetime Supporting Member
... 4-slot w/ processor sitting on my desk. I was just looking at it and wondering: what good use could I put it to? Initial HMI development? Portable gateway?
Was wondering what yall might suggest as to using this lil guy as a portable test rack in commissioning/startup and service on other systems?
Thanks
Skeet

Alex, it's not too nice to barge into another thread to draw attention to yours.

Skeet, it's nice to have a test rack around to play with new ideas. We use ours a lot to test new ideas before putting them into machines. Like you said, initial HMI development has been the biggest benefit to me. You can get all the little debugging out of the way.

We also have a PLC 5 rack (for when we have to support some of our legacy equipment) and we gateway to it.

We have done a few jobs where we convert a PLC5 system to ControlLogix while keeping the PLC5 I/O. Having it was extremely helpful.

I'm not sure what industry you work in, but maybe you could use to test you and your coworkers troubleshooting skills. Introduce some logic that has issues and see if someone can fix it. When I worked in a mill, I had no experience setting up brand new projects (initial configuration and new code). That's a good thing to practice too.

Alex, it's not too nice to barge into another thread to draw attention to yours.

Skeet, it's nice to have a test rack around to play with new ideas. We use ours a lot to test new ideas before putting them into machines. Like you said, initial HMI development has been the biggest benefit to me. You can get all the little debugging out of the way.

We also have a PLC 5 rack (for when we have to support some of our legacy equipment) and we gateway to it.

We have done a few jobs where we convert a PLC5 system to ControlLogix while keeping the PLC5 I/O. Having it was extremely helpful.

I'm not sure what industry you work in, but maybe you could use to test you and your coworkers troubleshooting skills. Introduce some logic that has issues and see if someone can fix it. When I worked in a mill, I had no experience setting up brand new projects (initial configuration and new code). That's a good thing to practice too.

dmroeder: Thanks! I didn't think about the PLC5 conversion angle. I spent a lot of years in the lumber manufacturing area; recently in marine gas and oil production support, so there's a lot of legacy stuff all over.