SLC5/05 Switching to spare TC Inputs...maybe?

bnelli

Hello, I've had a 1746-NT8 thermocouple input card fail on an SLC5/05 unit. There is another TC card in this rack that has spare input channels available. In an effort to avoid shutting down the PLC for a card swap, I'd like to move the inputs(which still work) from the failed card to the existing card with spare channels.

My question is this: Do I have to change every instruction that references the old input channel to correctly reference the new one? That will be a lot of online edits. If so, is there a quick way to do this or a procedure to follow? I would just be doing an online edit, but I'm trying to test this with Logix500 Emulate which, unfortunately, does not allow online edits.

Thanks in advance.

There is a "Search and Replace" feature.

With RSLogix500 open and with your program file open click on "Search" then "replace".
Click on the help button for an explanation of the options in this dialog.

Not sure if you can do this online though, maybe the AB gurus will check in about this.

There is a "Search and Replace" feature.

With RSLogix500 open and with your program file open click on "Search" then "replace".
Click on the help button for an explanation of the options in this dialog.

Not sure if you can do this online though, maybe the AB gurus will check in about this.

That only works offline and requires a full download.

What you can do is in the beginning of your program MOV the new input to the one used later in the program. MOV I:8.2 I:4.2

The inputs on a SLC are only read in the prescan and overwriting them will work the full scan. This can not be done for the CLX family in S5K.

What you can do is in the beginning of your program MOV the new input to the one used later in the program. MOV I:8.2 I:4.2

The inputs on a SLC are only read in the prescan and overwriting them will work the full scan. This can not be done for the CLX family in S5K.

I've tested this just now and I think this is what we will do, in addition to enabling the spare input channels which I've got covered.

Thank you!(y)