PLX51-net-eni comms between slc5/04 and panel view plus 7

Mikemator

Hi.

I am having trouble establishing comms between an slc5/04 and panel view plus 7 via a PLX51-net-eni.

The set up is:

5/04 Channel 0 DF1 protocol to PLX51, ethernet between PLX51 and panel view plus 7.

The HMI was migrated from an old 1400e to panel view plus 7, so I have changed left the original HMI tag names as they were and changed their addresses to suit the new plc short cut. I can browse tags from View Studio and I can use direct tags to test a particular button and that works. However using the HMI tags even with the correct address syntax for the plc short cut does not achieve communication.

I have followed the tech connect support instructions for setting this up but still no joy in design local or run time.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you use the ethernet for anything else, or just using it for the HMI? I have recently upgraded an old quickpanel HMI to a PV7 on a SLC and I used a 9300-USBCBL-CP3, USB port on the HMI configured for DF1 connected to the SLC. Works perfect.

Do you use the ethernet for anything else, or just using it for the HMI? I have recently upgraded an old quickpanel HMI to a PV7 on a SLC and I used a 9300-USBCBL-CP3, USB port on the HMI configured for DF1 connected to the SLC. Works perfect.

Thanks Lem, I’m not using the Ethernet port for anything else, this might be an option although I have read on the forum that some users have had difficulty getting this to work.

Did you use Hmi or direct tags?

Does anyone know if hmi tags will work if I use a 1761-net-eni instead of a PLX51-net-eni? I don’t want to have to change every single connection for every single object for the entire project from hmi tags to direct tags.

Thanks.

In that project I used HMI tags since I was using a few memory tags to add some additional functionality that wasn't in the old one. Plus I like to organize my tags into folders that way.
It does work with direct tags also.

You can test it out with almost any FTDI usb to serial cable and a null modem adapter, I just used the official AB cable when I installed it so it would be more clean than that and also since those two AB cables are the only ones AB says are "officially" supported.

I didn't have any trouble with the connection really, not once I realized that the panelview assigns the usb adapter to com port 2 and changed the runtime target to port 2.

>using the HMI tags even with the correct address syntax for the plc short cut does not achieve communication.

You're going to have to double-check your tag database and all the syntax. If you post some screenshots or examples here, folks can examine them (or ZIP the FTView archive file).

I would start by creating a test project with some from-scratch HMI tags that point to a Shortcut that points to the PLX51, and has SLC-style addresses in them.

With a converted project the first few things I think about is total block size, or maybe addressing a register that's outside of the data file size, or (most commonly) one or more mis-addressed items that cause the driver to spend too much time handling error responses and unable to optimize to read and write the correctly-addressed registers.

Last edited:
>using the HMI tags even with the correct address syntax for the plc short cut does not achieve communication.

You're going to have to double-check your tag database and all the syntax. If you post some screenshots or examples here, folks can examine them (or ZIP the FTView archive file).

I would start by creating a test project with some from-scratch HMI tags that point to a Shortcut that points to the PLX51, and has SLC-style addresses in them.

With a converted project the first few things I think about is total block size, or maybe addressing a register that's outside of the data file size, or (most commonly) one or more mis-addressed items that cause the driver to spend too much time handling error responses and unable to optimize to read and write the correctly-addressed registers.

Hi Ken,

If I use a direct tag it works, if I copy the direct tag into hmi tag address area it doesn't work.

View attachment 66349

Try this picture.
HmiTag.JPG

Remove the {curly brackets} from around the tag and shortcut and delete the double colon ::

The curly brackets are specifically used to designate a direct reference tag in an HMI object connection.

In the addressing for an HMI tag, you just enter "[Shortcut]N7:0"

Remove the {curly brackets} from around the tag and shortcut and delete the double colon ::

The curly brackets are specifically used to designate a direct reference tag in an HMI object connection.

In the addressing for an HMI tag, you just enter "[Shortcut]N7:0"

Thanks Ken, that’s worked.