PLX51-DF1-ENI to ML1500 Setup Issue

Hello,

I have the PLX setup and configured. Its seen and downloaded to. However my ML1500 does not communicate over it. The port (0) is used to program and for the HMI (which is a red lion gl something or other) only. The side port pn the ML( port 1) is used to commmand a drive. I have the machine down due to the ENI allen bradley converter crapped out on me. What am I missing with this PLX51-DF1-ENI?? Had anyone used and configured one from ethernet to ML1500 uding "bridge" on the PLX?

The port (0) is used to program and for the HMI (which is a red lion gl something or other) only.

Only one of those functions at a time, right ? If there was a 1761-NET-ENI connected to the port previously, then it was for certain set up for DF1 Full Duplex Point-to-Point, which only allows connection of one device to that port.

The default serial settings for Channel 0 are 19200 baud, 8/N/1 framing, DF1 Full Duplex protocol, and CRC error checking. Those are also the default settings for the 1761-NET-ENI. When you press the DCOMM button and the DCOMM light comes on, those are the settings temporarily imposed on the port, regardless of what it's settings are in the user configuration.

Does the Red Lion HMI still connect and communicate when it's plugged into the port ? If so, then the Crimson software program should give you a hint about the port configuration.

My first guess is that the Net-ENI might have been set up for 38.4 kb/s, because that's its maximum speed and is also supported by the MicroLogix 1500. So when you switch back out of DCOMM mode the controller goes back to 38.4 instead of 19.2.

Thank you Ken. I have checked over all of your suggesstions and everything matches up......however,I have been round and round with this but I tjought of something. This is used to program the controller but when I plug everything back up the ENI must have to somehow talk back and forth to the red lion because it is converted to ethernet at the eni so it must communicate with the red lion over ethernet. I just realized that the red lion has its own IP address so is this going to be a factor and is it possible to use this module for this? Maybe I have it set up incorrectly....thoughts anf ig so how do I set up the plc51eni to fo this? Either way I still see no controller in rs linx for the ML1500

Thank you for the clarifications: I understand now that the Ethernet/DF1 device is the only thing connected to the Channel 0 serial port, and that both your programming terminal and your HMI are connected to Ethernet.

That's a very normal way to use a 1761-NET-ENI, or a PLX51-DF1-ENI device in "Bridge Mode".

The configuration should be straightforward, but I don't have direct experience with the PLX51.

Have you successfully downloaded to the PLX51 using its Configuration Utility, and verified ordinary Ethernet connectivity using PING or a web browser ?

The PLX51 has a screw terminal serial port: how did you fabricate the cable between it and the MicroLogix ? Have you carefully "pinned it out" to be sure Tx, Rx, and Gnd are all connected correctly ?

I’ve tested some PLX31’s before and if the configuration/setup is the same as with the PLX51’s (I’m assuming they are) then I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s straight forward but not that far off. Once you get the hang of it and figure out what subtleties have to be done correctly it moves along fairly quickly (well, kinda). There are some good videos on PS’s website. They are a little long but full of good information.

Hello Ken yes the AB df1-Eni is a piece of cake to setup. The PLX51-Df1-ENI definately has a major learning curve. I finally got it this am. Yes I had to change thr rsl500 comms channel config to match that of the PLX51. I also found for anyone who wants to know thatvthe brown and orangr wired are pins 4 and 7 in a pm02 cbl and wire directly into the PLX51 as rx anf tx. But what I had to do to get comms with the HMI is assign its IP address (the HMI's)in the " direct cppp" under the bridge tab so it knows where to send the data to and from. Ken, thank you for your assistance with this issue.