Beginner problem AB SLC5/03

I am trying to connect to SLC5/03 using an FTDI usb to rs232 with female to female converter at 1 end... however I can not connect to it ... the PLC is reset FLT is flashing, DH485 light is slowly blnking rest lights are of ... all i/o modules are also out of chassis. (n)
I am sure making some silly mistake here but please help... i don't have a uic what can be a solution.

This could be a multitude of problems.

1) Verify your USB to RS232C converter is working. I normally do a loop back test with a terminal program like RealTerm. There are many, everyone has their favorite.

2) Do you know what the serial port is configured for?

a) If it is truly configured for DH485 then you will need a 1747-UIC converter to communicate via RSLinx using the UIC device driver. You can find an affordable third party device. Browse this forum for a reputable supplier.

b) If it is configured for DF1 (which is default), then you can connect directly to the serial port with a null modem cable using the RS232C RSLinx driver. Auto Connect should work fine on an SLC5/03.

More than likely, the FLT light is flashing because the I/O modules are missing.

In general, you need a "null modem" cable to connect a general purpose USB/R232 converter to Channel 0 (RS-232) of an SLC-5/03, 5/04, or 5/05 controller.

Many of those converters cannot support the "Auto Detect" feature. Start by trying the default settings: 19200 baud, 8/N/1 framing, CRC error checking.

Be certain that you have selected the correct COM port number when you configure the driver in RSLinx Classic; use the Windows Device Manager to determine which COM port the USB/RS232 converter is using.

If it's an older SLC5/03 and the above default settings from Ken don't work try the baud rate of 1,200.

Not sure when the change was made in the firmware but the default Baud used to be 1200

I had a customer that needed to replace my UIC because of an employee.

I gave him the PLCCables link, but he went eBay and bought it from someone else.

The package was from PLCCables, invoice had me as ShipTo, with the seller as SoldTo

Invoice also showed the sale price, but the price on eBay was $30 less with free shipping so unless this guy didn't pay GIT he lost on the sale.

Thankyou for Responses Everyone, Been going through it over the weekend and now I have moved to A RS 232 to rs232 serial coms using a laptop with DB9 port. i have got it working and the above replies cleared my problem basically FTDI seems to not work with the older slc5/03 i have
looking forward to sharing my workarounds in more details if someone wants. right then, thankyou kind fellars I/0 rack, I automation, cheeseface, an joseph.

In general, you need a "null modem" cable to connect a general purpose USB/R232 converter to Channel 0 (RS-232) of an SLC-5/03, 5/04, or 5/05 controller.

Many of those converters cannot support the "Auto Detect" feature. Start by trying the default settings: 19200 baud, 8/N/1 framing, CRC error checking.

Be certain that you have selected the correct COM port number when you configure the driver in RSLinx Classic; use the Windows Device Manager to determine which COM port the USB/RS232 converter is using.

thankyou for clearifying will try it as well.