AB Microligic's 1100

paulkenn

Hi,
I am new to the site so excuse. I am trying to set up a micrologic's PLC across a LAN can anybody advise on the set up procedure etc.. also need to set up SCADA for the same. Have no SACADA software as yet can anyone advice. anything appreciated.

Wow, that is one of the most general questions ever. You really need to narrow it down if you want anyone to respond.

How about you tell us your experience level, what you are trying to do, and why your supplier isn't helping you with any of this.

No one minds helping with specific questions, but no one is going to do your entire job for you either.

Hi,
I am new to the site so excuse. I am trying to set up a micrologic's PLC across a LAN can anybody advise on the set up procedure etc.. also need to set up SCADA for the same. Have no SACADA software as yet can anyone advice. anything appreciated.

Start with "why" do you want to plug an ethernet cable into a LAN. Then get your manual out and look at apendix F. It goes into detail on how to configure your Micrologix PLC for ethernet comms

I think when you answer the 'why" and read the manual your going to find you need that SCADA sooner than you thought. PLC's do not talk "directly" to PC's so you have alot to understand before the CAT5 cable goes in.

You are going to have to first configure the ML1100 to be on the same subnet that the rest of your LAN computers are on - that means you will need to know the IP addresses used by the computers on the subnet. Next you will have to give the ML a fixed IP address that is unused by any other computer on the LAN. That means you are going to have to work with the IT department to determine what IP addresses are available, and if the computers on the LAN get their addresses from a DHCP server then the DHCP server will have to be configured so that it does not issue the same IP address as the fixed IP address chosen for the ML1100.

Once you have all that done then you are 99% of the way there. You can plug it in and you should be able to browse right to it in RSLinx.

Sorry about the broad angle of the Question, I am working as a maintenanace Tech with some systems experience, but am also studying for a masters degree and as part of my Thesis I have to hook a small rig with a ML 1100 PLC (new PLC) to the college network. from a remote desktop i also need to configure a small SCADA system, no more than 4 or five sensors, start, stop etc..