restoring a FT View Studio File

robw53

hi,

i am wondering if anyone knows how i could convert the MER file back to a APA file so i can modify an application i have tried to backup with the applications manager but it says the file was saved with an older version which doesnt support conversion.

any help please

So the mer was created in 4.0 or earlier? There was a extremely round about way to do it, but you all of your alarm configuration and and possibly some other settings. There is a thread detailing it. It resurfaces every once in a while.

edit: well played Bernie, I'm slow.

im not sure but i think its version 4 all i know is that it wont allow a restore to APA. i will try doing what it says in the threads, and then re adding the alarms.

thanks guys

Rob

Yeah you were never intended to be able to restore a .mer back into a usable application in versions before 5.0. That feature wasn't added until FT 5.0.

When creating the run time in 5.0, you must specify that you want the ability to restore it.

Just to clarify....you don't restore a .MER to an .APA

Starting with v5.0 you are now allowed to take a .MER file and use it to recreate the development project.

• The .MER file is one file that contains the runtime application only
  • The .MED file is the entire development edition of the project and consists of multiple files and folders stored in a specific location on the development computer
  • The .APA file is a single compressed file containing the development edition of the project.
To work on the project you would "restore" either the .APA or the .MER file to get the development edition.

OG

Hi guys,
I have an APA files (Version 4) of my application from other PC. I copied this APA files to another PC using the same version. I want to edit the application to the this PC but I can't open it. I copied the MER of this application then save it to this new PC then run and it works but there's is a problem with the RSlinx.
I also tried to copy this application by creating a new file name and restore my application to this new created one. It was successful but text display and all my tags is nowhere to locate. I tried to import my tags from my old application but no to avail. Any suggestions?