Factorytalk View ME - restoring a runtime application from another computer ?

Rob S.

Good Evening ,

I should know this , but here it goes . If you create a ME Application on one computer , and you create a runtime file and download it to a HMI , can you take another computer, upload the .mer , and then restore it to another application ?

If not , what options are they ?

Thanks so much ,

The short answer is "maybe".

The long answer is "maybe", with a bucket full of "ifs".

If the .mer was created with version n of FTView Studio, and the computer you wish to restore it onto has version n or greater, still maybe. If not, you'll have to update your copy of FTView Studio.

If the .mer was created in version 5 or newer (from memory) - still maybe. Older versions did not have the "restore runtime application" feature, so if it was created in version 4, you're out of luck.

If the .mer was created as version 5 on a 32 bit machine, still maybe. While version 5 had the "restore from runtime application" feature included, it did not work on 64 bit machines, so the .mer file could not have been created with the "allow restore" option enabled if the original machine was 64 bit and the .mer file was created as a version 5 file.

If the .mer file was created on a version and a machine where it was possible to select "enable runtime restore" option, and the user chose to do so, still maybe. If the original programmer didn't think to check that option, or decided that their secrets were worth keeping secret, you're out of luck.

If the .mer file was created with the "enable runtime restore" option available, and the user chose to check that option, and didn't password protect the file, then most probably, yes. If they put a password on, you'll have to know the password to have any hope of restoring it. Pro tip: on some versions of FTView, the "password protect" option is selected by default, and allows a blank password. So a great many .mer files have likely been carelessly created with an unintentional password by clicking "next-next-next-next" without properly checking all the different selections throughout the process - but the password is blank. So if you get a password prompt, and you don't know the password, you can try hitting enter, to see if that's what happened here.

So with all those "maybes" and "as long as" conditions in play, the question is...do you feel lucky, punk?

Last edited:
See also: this article. Confirms/slightly corrects some of the above, and also throws one other spanner that I forgot into the works regarding 32/64 bit incompatibility and the legacy tag database migration tool. Plus it gives you options on how to manually extract as much of the program as you can if you find that for whatever reason, you can't fully restore the runtime.