Will using UDT improve communication between Panelview Plus and 1756 DHRIO

siv

Hi there,
We have panelview plus installation on DH+ network. Recently we moved from PLC 5 to CLX. Due to CIP connection limitations to optimize the network if we use UDT (dump all tags required by the panelview in one chunk) than individual tags, will there be any improvement in the network load ?
Thanks in advance
siv o_O

CIP wont go through DH+. You will need to switch to Ethernet/IP or ControlNet to use CIP. I dont think this will help. Someone correct me if Im wrong

I don't know that blocking up the data in the ControlLogix will help reduce network traffic from the PanelView Plus, although I have never tried this. If you're concerned about loading on the network, you can increase the tag update rate on the PV+ screens (I believe the default update time is 1 second). You might also look at any configured datalogs and see what their update rates are.

I don't know if the PV+ works like the ASB modules, but in an application that has numerous BTR/BTW's to a single ASB module, we had to employ a "message manager" to ensure that only one set occured on a single ASB at a time.

How are your messages conditionalized?
But in general, if your data is in a continuous length of data (like an array), then your messages will implement more efficiently.

PV+ terminal uses up to 5 "CIP connections" to the ControlLogix through the 1756-DHRIO module, but the 1756-DHRIO can only bridge 10 of these CIP Connections according to the technote below
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52653

we experienced screens don't update with increased number of PV+ terminals. Tags update time can contribute to network traffic. since DH+ is token passing, will continuous block of data reduce traffic? How to monitor the network load ? should the monitoring device (computer) need to be in the same physical layer (DH+)?