slipping clutch monitor

pauly

I have clutch on a machine which I want to monitor for slippage. There two toothed wheels and two proximity switches, 1 set on the motor side and one on the load side (the exact number of teeth I am not sure about at the moment) now I need to monitor the difference in frequency of pulses from these somehow and I was wondering if there was a panel mountable unit that would do the job. I.E. monitor the frequency of the two signals and give an output at a preset difference. Any ideas?

I have clutch on a machine which I want to monitor for slippage. There two toothed wheels and two proximity switches, 1 set on the motor side and one on the load side (the exact number of teeth I am not sure about at the moment) now I need to monitor the difference in frequency of pulses from these somehow and I was wondering if there was a panel mountable unit that would do the job. I.E. monitor the frequency of the two signals and give an output at a preset difference. Any ideas?

Red Lion makes a panel mount dual input rate meter, Gemini 52.

This will do.

• Dual Rate w/Ratio (A/B)
  • Difference (A-B)
  • Draw [(A-B)/B]
  • 69 mm x 133 mm
  • 6 Digit, 0.56" (14 mm) LED
  • Displays A, B, or C Channel
  • Dual Assignable Relay Outputs
  • Serial Communications
  • NEMA 4/IP65
  • Up to 10 KHz

http://www.redlion.net/Products/Groups/Counter/Rate/GEMINI52/Docs/03009.pdf

Assuming that a PLC CAN see the inputs as seperate pulses and if the toothed wheels have the same number of teeth then start two counters.

Over a desired time period allow the counters to count. If, during the time period, the motor side counter accumulator gets greater than the load side counter accumulator by a certain amount then there is too much slippage. You decide the time period (after which you re-zero the counters and keep going) and how much difference in counts is acceptable.