`The blind leading the blind

Goody

So today I get a call from the engineer at a customer of mine.
'Can I order them a new conveyor motor - this one has cooked itself'
'Give me the details from the plate and I will order one'
'440V'
'ok'
'1440 rpm'
'ok'
'11KW'
'11KW????. it's only for a tiny conveyor belt'
'it says 11KW here on the plate'
'have you got your glasses on'
'no'
'go get them'
'hold on then'
'oh, its says 1.1Kg

The 11KW motor I might have ordered would have been plenty power eh

The quality of motor legend plates has dropped dramatically over the last few years. Where plates once had easy to read clear crisp lettering they now have faded and blurred tiny dim lettering that you can only just barely make out if the light and angle is just right. This trend isn't limited to just motors; all kinds of industrial legend plates have undergone a drop in quality - and it seems to have even retroactively affected existing legend plates. 🍺

Product manuals and instruction sheets seem to suffer from the same malady. It's as if the manufacturers no longer take pride in their paper work.

:8)

I for one believe in oversizing motors when designing from the beginning.... replacement parts however, you have jam in there.....

Stationmaster

I have noticed this as well. The more the years wear on, the worse the quality seems to be. The jeans that I have always bought are now a lot smaller due to the manufacturer trying to skimp on cloth. Sign painters are painting the signs with blurry letters. Even the books I read have been printed with smaller letters to save paper.

The quality of motor legend plates has dropped dramatically over the last few years. Where plates once had easy to read clear crisp lettering they now have faded and blurred tiny dim lettering that you can only just barely make out if the light and angle is just right. This trend isn't limited to just motors; all kinds of industrial legend plates have undergone a drop in quality - and it seems to have even retroactively affected existing legend plates. 🍺

Man, that is so true...........just another indication of the state of the economy (especially manufacturing). Reduce cost...reduce quality.
I try to refer to the documentation, hoping the specs will be listed....

🍺🍺

The internet has suffered the same fate. Web pages that used to have clear, crisp letters are becoming more difficult to read. I guess they're trying to save on bandwidth? The supposed 'workaround' is to use a 'zoom' feature, but that just make the page bigger. I want my old 'easy to read' internet back!... :mad:

🍻

-Eric

I don't worry too much about the quality of nameplates anymore. The first time Bubba gets his hands on a can of spray paint it becomes a moot point anyway.

The internet has suffered the same fate. Web pages that used to have clear, crisp letters are becoming more difficult to read. I guess they're trying to save on bandwidth? The supposed 'workaround' is to use a 'zoom' feature, but that just make the page bigger. I want my old 'easy to read' internet back!... :mad:

The font size and type are just a code in the textfile send to your webbrowser. The font has to be installed on your pc.
If not, the webbrowser will just show another font.
The size of the received file, so the bandwidth, will not change by changing the font size or type on a website.
I guess the reason is to put more text on the page or... maybe you need (new)glasses :)

I must agree though. Older motors had brass nameplates with the figures stamped on them. A quick wire brush up and they were plainly visible.

They seem to be made of nothing more than stiff foil these days.

I'm glad I told this tale, I have had a great laugh at the other posts.

I have noticed this as well. The more the years wear on, the worse the quality seems to be. The jeans that I have always bought are now a lot smaller due to the manufacturer trying to skimp on cloth. Sign painters are painting the signs with blurry letters. Even the books I read have been printed with smaller letters to save paper.

I agree, it seems to be proportional to the number of birthdays I have. It's not a straight line though, its starting to curve up faster lately. Maybe Peter can explain this.

well, SOME things are better ...

on the plus side - they're putting a LOT more in the shampoo bottles these days ... the stuff seems to last forever ...

on the plus side - they're putting a LOT more in the shampoo bottles these days ... the stuff seems to last forever ...

That may be so... but the loss of quality in our SHOES offsets the benefit.... The newer cheaper, leaner, more cost effective, manufacturing process of these necessary fashion accessories has rendered them into torture devices.... after wearing them for shorter and shorter times, the aches, pains, pinches, and general discomfort they cause is enough to become a distraction.......

That may be so... but the loss of quality in our SHOES offsets the benefit.... The newer cheaper, leaner, more cost effective, manufacturing process of these necessary fashion accessories has rendered them into torture devices.... after wearing them for shorter and shorter times, the aches, pains, pinches, and general discomfort they cause is enough to become a distraction.......

Not to mention how quickly they fall apart...