IN: pointer to local data of an elementary datatype
OUT: the size of the datatype in bytes as integer

for example

IN: #iNumber (as integer)
OUT: 2

Is this possible?

grtz

bvrm

If the IN is an ANY pointer, then it is possible to extract the datatype and the number of elements (repetition factor). In most cases the datatype is BYTE, so the number of bytes can be directly retrieved from the repetition factor.
The repetition factor is contained in bytes 2-3 of the 10 bytes (0-9) of the ANY pointer.
If you want to be sure, you can check the datatype in byte 1. BYTE for example is datatype B#16#02.

See the online help for the structure of the ANY pointer.

I have the following code

L P##i_pPointerData
LAR1
L W [AR1,P#2.0]
T #i_iSizeOf

in a FC. When calling the fc i connect i_iPointerData to #iTarget (a temp as integer). The output in i_iSizeOf is 1 instead of 2.

Can it be that the datatype in the anypointer is not BYTE?

Correct. When you pass in a UDT, the ANY pointer will always contain the number of byes. When you use the elementary variables, the any pointer will contain the number of variables types. If you want to know the number of bytes you will have to examine the type byte and then use a case statement to select the appropriate number of bytes for each data type.