RSLogix & Revision Control

I've started using revision control software to help track changes on a project I'm working on. Although I'm sure they exist, I'm trying to keep away from vendor-specific rev control software for several reasons. So far everything is fine, but I've noticed a peculiar issue with RSLogix5000 projects when using rev control. For some reason RSLogix sees fit to modify the project file when downloading to the processor, even if no changes are made. Just the action of opening the file and downloading causes the file to be modified, which of course the rev control software now thinks a change has been made. Equally annoying, for some reason you cannot go online without uploading to a previous version that was downloaded earlier. To illustrate, say I download rev 1 of the project. I then go offline and proceed to make further updates resulting in rev 2. These changes have not yet been reviewed and approved, so I just commit them as a new revision but do not download. Now I need to get back online with v1, so I tell the rev control software to rollback to v1, open the v1 file, and try to go online. RSLogix thinks that this is a different file and now won't allow me to go online without doing an upload. This is quite annoying since v1 is still in the processor and the v1 file from the rev control software is an *EXACT* copy of what was downloaded, save for the file creation time.

I had a similar problem with RSLogix5 a few years ago after I updated it. It turned out that RSLogix was adding a NUL character to the end of the filename and treated it as a changed file & forcing an upload every time I connected to the machine.

I had to wait for Rockwell to come out with a newer version & install that.