One E-stop in several AS-I networks

smf

Hi

I wonder if it's possible with Siemens ASI safety montitors to have several AS-I networks connected?

When we do safety we practise that everything you can see when you stand at the e-stop should be stoped, the problem is that we're planing to use AS-I for the first time and we have several networks so some of the e-stops at network 1 might have to stop something connected to a safety monitor in network 2 etc.

Do anyone have a solution?

use of the safety modules is a good way to do this I would however have one safety monitor per network. Then pass the safety status from one network to the other by having one contact on each safety module wired in series between networks assuming the safeties are a class one hook up. If your safeties are all wired class 3 however then you should use minimum two contacts on the interlinks to maintain the same classification (class 3 can be easily thought of as "no one fault will prevent the safeties frm correctly working" ) essentially this uses multiple contacts pers safety so that if one contact welds the other contact still shows the true state. The definition is a little simplified. You may consider having one safety module as a master network safety monitor with the individual safety network monitors all sending their status good to the master via a single/multiple contact. If however their are different stop conditions depending on which network goes down/where then you may have to use a safety rated PLC to handle the control stoppage. Forgot to mention you will probably need to send the master safety monitor back to each slave monitor as well via a safety contact on each. Perhaps you can post a link to which safety module your using and provide a few more details on your setup.
1)class of estop circuit 1,2,3 or 4
2)classification of stop (are all stoppage simultaneous or do you need control stoppage.
3) do you have spare contacts in each network safety module if so how many?
4)a brief description of the equipment on this system may also be helpful ie is it all conveyers?

Last edited:
I was looking at the ASI safety monitors on the ASI webpage you can get ASI masters and ASI monitors. these communicate with one another via Profibus. I would google ASI and get a contact number from that page. Contqact ASI with your specifications such as which monitors you have and how many ASI networks they should be able to provide you with a correct ASI master

I was looking at the ASI safety monitors on the ASI webpage you can get ASI masters and ASI monitors. these communicate with one another via Profibus. I would google ASI and get a contact number from that page. Contqact ASI with your specifications such as which monitors you have and how many ASI networks they should be able to provide you with a correct ASI master

I also took at the ASI webpage and found some stuff that would solve the problems in an easy way :) the problem here is that we're forced to use siemens products :( i have not been able to tell yet exactly what capatiblites the siemens monitors have but there is something they call "asi coupling" that might be usefull even if i'm not sure what it is yet (i do not have the asimon software yet and the manual doesn't tell much)

Anyway i'm sure this problem can be solved now, but it might require lots of safety monitors that are just used to transfer signals over to the next ASI network :p

Our a safety monitor Siemens (3RK1105-1AE04-0CA0)has no output going to PLC (Contrologix). All door interlocks contacts are all ok. Right now we don't have software to use to communicate to this safety monitor. Can somebody suggest how to check if the safety monitor is working fine? Is there a way to access this safety using other software?