ControlLogix plc password protection

snaoum

I cant seem to find a way to password protect projects. I was able to do that with the the AB SLC 500 but now that I am using the ControlLogix I need to protect the projects.
example: When using rslogix5000 and I click file, open and select a project I would like it to ask me to enter a password before it opens that project or when I download or upload from the plc I'd like it to ask me to enter a password. Can this be done?

Last edited:
Source Protection is another option for RSLogix 5000 security.

It is described in Chapter 4 (page 25) of the Logix5000 Security manual: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm016_-en-p.pdf

You will see there are several options for security in the Logix controllers.
I second the above.
Create a source key to a common directory (yours and your co-workers notebook, you can even create a new directory, name it "source keys' and don't let anyone touch it).
Then copy the source key you generate to your co-workers notebook, same directory.
You both have acess to the protected programs.
I also keep "keys" to back up drives.
If you ever lose it, there's no back door access. Even Rockwell cannot help with recovery.

Do you REALLY NEED to apply that kind of security? It only leads to problems -- maybe not today or tomorrow, but it absolutely, positively WILL happen.

And if you were to be working in one of my plants and I found you had put a password on one of my PLC's -- that would be the last time you ever worked for me... You ~might~ want to consider your customers' needs in that, too...

Do you REALLY NEED to apply that kind of security? It only leads to problems -- maybe not today or tomorrow, but it absolutely, positively WILL happen.

And if you were to be working in one of my plants and I found you had put a password on one of my PLC's -- that would be the last time you ever worked for me... You ~might~ want to consider your customers' needs in that, too...
As an independent contractor, yes I do.
My customers knows up front.
Been burned one too many times.
Itis actually very funny when you walk into a place and see some of the screns you developed for somebody else running on their equipment.
When they sign off on the project, they get everything including the source keys.
i have removed each and every one of them so far.
Just an insurance policyof sorts for me.
nothing to do with time bombs, repeat service calls and such schemes.

We(company I work for) MUST have it password protected because of what we do and we cannot afford to have anyone know how to program our software. What we do is something no one else does, we are the only company in the world in this specific field and we want to stay that way so protecting us from everyone who tries to copy-cat our software is really important.

I am using 1756-L61 for my PLC. I remember on the SLC505 we have it setup if you open a project it will ask you for a password in order to open it. It will ask for the password again when we attempt to download the project to the PLC and I want to replicate that.