Parameter text on a FactoryTalk Global Object

I'm having issues inserting a 'variable' into a global object item.

In the "GLobal Object Parameter Definitions" window, I have #2 | Label

One of the members is a Text widget, and I'd like it to display #2's value. Unfortunately, the closest I seem to get is "s ... s", i think because the parameter has to be some PLC tag.

Is it at all possible to create a Global Object with some sort of label that you can set?

For what it's worth, when dealing fighting with FTView, I found it simply easier to actually put most of my text in the PLC as strings. Precisely for the reason you mention, displays loaded with parameter placeholders don't like constant text in strings.

VBA is a potential work around, but it's easier to put the strings in the PLC and be done with it.

"integrated architecture" indeed. I have yet to find an HMI that is truly advanced and well integrated. They all have issues.

PLC strings it is.

Actually, with the Logix 5000 processors, I found added benefit to using PLC stings... 90% of my code is modular and reusable, in a single program, or across several. I make up a UDT, and a graphic for a widget, say a setpoint... MOP Up and down buttons, slow and fast, with a keypad option on some, min/max limits, description text and units.

All of the data (including description text and units) is part of the UDT. It does simplify things a bit.

Yeah. I've finally gotten everyone to the point of upgrading from SLC500 on this most recent project, so this is everyone else's first go at UDTs (and my first in .. 2 years?). So, popping string names in the UDT may, in fact, be BETTER than what i was originally attempting.

--
I don't suppose there's a way to access the "description" of an element in a UDT, is there? It'd be great to be able to make an element such as "KW", and be able to use the "Kilowatts" description as an HMI label.

Last edited: