Ethernet between GE PLC

mot

Hi All, I need some help on communicating between a RX3i GE PLC and VersaMax Micro Plus PLC. The RX3i supports GED (Global Ethernet Data) where you can produce data to another device through Ethernet and consume data from other devices. The problem with the Versamax Micro Plus is that you cant produce data to be consumed by the other PLC. I'm not sure how to read/write to and from the Versamax Micro through ethernet. Any Ideas?

OH and i'm going to site next thursday the 8th April (away from all sivilization)!!! The PLC i'm trying to communicate to is part of a vendors package aargg!

I've done EGD with Pax and it's very simple and robust. Before the Pax series we'd use COMREQ instructions in ladder logic. I've done this for serial communication between 90-30's. I think the Versamax would work the same, but don't know.

I hope my somewhat answer bumps this to the top and someone more knowledgeable will reply.

I don't believe that the Versamax Micros/Nanos have EGD capabilities, although GE does have an Ethernet module that can be purchased for the Versamax Micro/Nano. Although I have never tried it, you may be able to add the VSME to the Versamax Micro and use MODBUS TCP/RTU to communicate between the controllers, but if it did work I don't know how robust it would be.

Regards

As stated above "YOU CAN NOT DO EGD ON THE VWRSAMAX MICRO". this is a true statement.
Make sure that you have the latest firmware for each CPU, then explore SRTP communications.

Has anybody tried using the modbus_tcp_rw function? It seems to me that i'm able to add this function to the logic supplied in the vendors micro PLC project. However when trying to add the modbus_tcp_rw function to my RX3i project, it would not accept it.

My question is, if using this function in the micro logic to write to the RX3i, do i have to use the same function in my RX3i project to read the addresses again?

Ok, just found out that RX3i doesn't support MODBUS_TCP_RW function, will it be possable to read the addresses using EGD when it was sent from the micro side with the MODBUS_TCP_RW function?

I'm going to do it with COMM_REQ, all I need to know now is, is it possable to trigger the read request and the write request simultaneously, or do i have to wait for the read to request to finish before triggering the write request?