RsLinx Enterprise

gherz817

Need help:

There are 2 ControlNet FO ring connected to Redundant Clx Controller. Then, the redundant Clx is connected to Ethernet network through ENBT module, and, also FT data servers and FT HMI's are connected to Ethernet network. The configuration of the redundant Clx, CPU L62,CNB/A, ENBT and SRM. My questions are:

1. Can RSlinx Enterprise/Classic directly connect and get data to every FO Ring Clx Controllers?

2. If yes, do I need to configure the CNB modules
of each Clx controllers in the FO ControlNet ring into the IO configuration tree of the redundant Clx controller?

3. Each tag on the FO ControlNet ring controllers which are connected to RsLinx Enterprise Servers will add one connection to the redundant Clx controller? or each controller contribute one connection to the redundant Clx controller?

Both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise can easily bridge from EtherNet/IP to ControlNet through any Bulletin 1756 ControlLogix backplane, whether that is a backplane used by a redundant ControlLogix, a single controller, or no controller.

1. Can RSlinx Enterprise/Classic directly connect and get data to every FO Ring Clx Controllers?

1. Yes. Both RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic can browse through the ControlLogix backplane to the controllers that are connected to the fiber optic ring. This will use the unscheduled bandwidth on the ControlNet.

2. If yes, do I need to configure the CNB modules of each Clx controllers in the FO ControlNet ring into the IO configuration tree of the redundant Clx controller?

2. No. Communications between RSLinx and the controllers on the ControlNet is unscheduled and does not require the "remote" controllers to be in the I/O configuration nor have any Produced/Consumed Tag relationship with the Redundant ControlLogix.

3. Each tag on the FO ControlNet ring controllers which are connected to RsLinx Enterprise Servers will add one connection to the redundant Clx controller? or each controller contribute one connection to the redundant Clx controller?

3. RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise will package tags into efficient bundles in the background and transport them in optimized groups. The communications path through the 1756-ENBT to the 1756-CNB module is considered a "bridged connection" for the 1756-ENBT and the 1756-CNB.

While the RSLinx traffic may require more than one CIP Connection through both the -ENBT and the -CNB, it does not use any connections or resources of the Redundant ControlLogix CPUs.

While this is a valid configuration and the system can certainly technically handle this communication architecture, you should carefully monitor the bandwidth in use on the ControlNet network itself and the CPU Utilization of the 1756-ENBT and 1756-CNB modules using the Logix 5000 Task Monitor Utility.

Hi Ken,

Thank you very much for the answer to my question.

One more thing, if i will add one more CNB module to the redundant chassis. One CNB for FO Cnet ring #1 and one CNB for FO Cnet #2 is this also possible or will work? I'm thinking it will reduce the load of CNB module since it is already distributed into two CNBs.

Remember that the two 1756-CNB modules in the redundant pair are doing exactly as much work (and maybe a little more) than a single CNB would; your path through the Redundant ControlLogix will only be run on the chassis of the Primary controller.

Do not divide a redundant ControlNet (Channel A and Channel B) into two separate modules; that's not how redundant ControlNet works.

But you can add another ControlNet module to the chassis to handle communication bridging only, if the 1756-CNB that is running the Redundant ControlLogix I/O is too heavily loaded, either with regard to CPU Utilization or CIP Connections.

Thank you very much Ken Roach,

I got what you mean. Actually this is my 1st Redundant CLx Project with this kind of System Architecture. The one before, all the CLx and Redundant CLx are connected directly to the Ethernet network.

To give more overview on the project, we have over 60,000 tags to be displayed on HMI. Now, Aside from FT Talk SE Server, I’m planning to have one RsLinx Classic Gateway computer to serve to my Wonderware HMI clients in the Ethernet network. I'm not sure if this gonna work. What bothered me if it will work fine with only one RsLinx Classic Gateway computer serving many HMI clients. Hope it gonna work fine without any problem.

If anybody would like to comments, just post in here and thank you in advance.

Thank you very much Ken Roach,

Sorry for this second reply i had internet problem when I sent my first reply. I thought It didn't send it already.

Last edited: