plc on linux

Your best bet would be to install virtualization software like VMware Workstation on Linux. Then you can create Windows virtual machines (Win XP is a good choice) that should run just fine virtualized under Linux.

OG

tahnx dear,however i dont have win xp (licenesd version) and if micro soft people find it they may fine us,any way if i use vmware workstation is it possible to hide the win xp.so that if they come i canhide it. thanx in advance.

Wine is an emulator which is emulating different versions of Windows, it isn't Windows itself. I haven't used it myself, but some of my trainees did with success.

Kind regards,

Well, Jean Pierre... technically Wine Is Not an Emulator ;-)

Somethings will work out of Wine, some won't. I have no experience, nor do I know anybody with any experience, running any PLC software that way. I suspect the program itself might work, but the comm software (e.g., RSLinx) may or may not work...

Wine is one of those recursive acronyms that Linux folks are so famous for. 🍺 Cleverness aside, its still a limited emulator of sorts, however it only emulates the WIN API so many windoze kernel functions are not available.

I have installed WINE but never tried for for PLC software. I use VirtualBox to create and run a VM under Linux and have run RSLogix software in it - although I haven't ever tried going online through the VM - and I had an unused valid copy of Win XP Pro that I could install. Its not something I use regularly, I was just playing around to see how well it would work.

There was some work being done a few years ago developing an open source soft PLC to run in Linux. IIRC it was called the Puffin project. You could try googling it.

There is however a nice SCADA/Data collection system that runs under linux for PLCs. Look up Ignition by Inductive Automation.
*caveat, opc-da doesn't work under linux.. that's a windows only thing, opc-UA does tho!*

I had run Direct Soft on my Linux machine, I never tried to connect to a PLC though just played around with programs. It did need to run with wine and if I remember correctly, the help files did not open correctly. I would like to try it again with the latest version of wine and actually try to connect to my DL05...

dear Jean Pierre.. i have installed wine and also plc software logixpro,it installed properly but is running back side when i open it for the 2nd time its saying"logixpro already running".in addition i am new to linux...any thing to solve this.
thanks in advance..

Sorry, but as I've stated before what I told was hear say. I haven't used Linux with PLC software myself before, only some of my students did.

Kind regards,