What does "B3:0" mean in ladder

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day. Very new at AB PLC and trying to learn, using AB provided materials. I'm familiar with Fanuc, Hitachi, and Siemens PLC's, not AB's. I have a hoist that wont raise unless the bypass key switch is turned-on (which bypasses OT switches). When I look on the ladder it shows that B3:0 (looks like NO contact) must close for it to work. Any help anyone could be would be greatly appreciated.

Somewhere else in the program "B3:0" will show-up on the right side of the logic (as an output). Look to the input side of that rung and you will see what "real world" input causes B3:0 to go true. Whatever that device is, the PLC is not getting that input.

B3:0 is only defined to the word level. To be used in a boolean instruction it needs to be defined to the bit level. If you look below and on the right side of the contact there should be another number, between 0 and 15. That is the bit address.

B addresses are general purpose memory locations that are usually used for boolean operations. They don't have a specifically defined purpose. As MasterBlaster said there is probably an output instruction somewhere in the program that controls the state of this bit. Find that and you find what sets the bit.

Keith

Right click on the address. Select Find All. A window will pop up where you can find the output instruction that sets bit B3:0/?. Click on it and the program will take you to that rung.

Also right click in any blank space on your ladder display to pull up the display properties. Select address dispaly, and select single line display for bit instruction instead of split line - that should help you see that the address isn't B3:0 but it is B3:0/X where x is a bit between 0 and 15 in Boolean file 3, word 0.

You can find the AB manuals for whatever PLC it is you are using in the literature library on AB's website. I strongly suggest you get them if you are going to be mucking about in one, especially get the addressing manual and the instruction set reference manual so that you can understand AB's memory file structure. AB does not used fixed memory locations, you can expand or shrink your data space as needed and add extra files of any data type supported by the PLC.

Last edited:
A "B" register is just internal bits...

B3 indicates which file -- you can also define a B10 or a B42 file (for example). They're just words of 16 bits each.

B3:0 indicates the first word in the file. B3:1, the second; B3:2 the third, etc...

B3:0/0 is the first bit in the first word of the B3 Binary file...
B10:4/6 is the seventh bit in the fifth word of the B10 Binary file...
etc.

Thank you all so much. Was a discrete that wired with the wrong logic (compared with PLC instruction). Problem resolved. It is amazing how quickly you folks came to my aid. Thank you