Maximum Distance for Cat5

Mike_whi

What is the maximum distance I can run cat-5e or cable for rs323
I have a total of 4 SLC's in different locations I would like to establish communications with

50 feet (15 meters) is the maximum specified length for an RS-232 connection. I've definitely exceeded this by at least double without any major issues. But if you want to go further using serial comms, you should really consider something based on RS-422 or RS-485.

DH-485 has a maximum cable length of 4,000 feet. It also can support up to 32 nodes, and I believe all of the SLC's support it (but may require additional hardware). It might be a better option for you.

If you give more specific information on what you are trying to accomplish, someone here may be able to give you better guidance for your application.

The previously mentioned 50 feet is what the EIA spec says, and is a statement that's what one can expect with components meeting the electrical specs.

But the signal doesn't 'die' at the length stated. Others have driven longer distances. I did 100' a year ago and it's run since without a problem. It's a question of "does it work at whatever distance?"

My opinion, is that for the relatively low cost of CAT 5 cable, it's a situation of "try it and see". Unless it's a hazardous area, a trial test can be cheap and quick.