RSLinx and Haromony File Corruption

SSO

Hello Everyone.

We are using a third party data acquisition system that uses RSLinx as the OPC link to gather information from all of our production PLC’s. The system is looking for trigger bits for 3 different types of messages (downtime, production and reject). The system also writes information to the PLC’s on a brand change and every minute after that.

The problem we have is every now and then there is a need to turn off processors, be it for construction or line maintenance. When this happens the data acquisition system is still trying to write to and read from the PLC. It may take an hour, it may take 12 hours but eventually the Harmony files become corrupt and all communication ceases. Sometimes RSLinx will crash while the PLC Processor is down, other times it will crash hours after it is brought back on line. We then have to go in and delete the Harmony files. Sometimes RSLinx is so badly messed up that we cannot shut it down and we have to restart the server it is on.

Has anyone had any issues with this, and how have you resolved it (if you have)? We are using RSLinx 2.54 and it is installed on an HP ProLiant ML370 Generation 3 server. Communication from the server is done through Ethernet. Then to go to the PLC’s some of them are on Ethernet and some are on data highway. This issue is not confined to one particular type of PLC or one type of communication method either. We have seen the issue with PLC5. SLC5/03 and Control Logix. We have seen the issue with PLC’s on Ethernet as well as data highway.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.