How do I know If I messed this CompactLogix up?

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was trying to upgrade the firmware of a new CompactLogix.
I ran the ControlFLASH utility using the serial port, the upgrading process started, and near the end it stopped (probably because the connection was lost). I tried again, the process started very low, and after a few minutes it stopped.
Now when I run "Who Active" I can see all the device tree, but the parent node (CompactLogix Processor, 1769-L32E/A R15.31) is disabled (all the sub-nodes are enabled, though).
Do I have to send the processor back to the factory?

I was trying to upgrade the firmware of a new CompactLogix.
I ran the ControlFLASH utility using the serial port, the upgrading process started, and near the end it stopped (probably because the connection was lost). I tried again, the process started very low, and after a few minutes it stopped.
Now when I run "Who Active" I can see all the device tree, but the parent node (CompactLogix Processor, 1769-L32E/A R15.31) is disabled (all the sub-nodes are enabled, though).
Do I have to send the processor back to the factory?
Try controlflash again through enet port. Serial can take forever, leterally.
I think the cpu isn't shown just because the bootstrap firmware did not finish the first time.If you establish comms let the thing run until it is done.
Good luck

It also pays to move the mouse around every few minutes so that the PC or laptop does not go to sleep mode then starts shutting off its comms ports

All you are doing is saying yo ho I am still here.

Always flash through Ethernet or whatever your fastest communications option is. That even goes for Controllogix processors...go through your Ethernet module to the backplane to the processor instead of through the serial port on the front of the processor

I have flashed many CPUs using serial but like Gil47 said, I keep moving the mouse every few minutes and I disable the screen saver. And do not run your laptop off the battery. Plug it in!

Try controlflash again through enet port.
For some reason the processor is not showing up under the Ethernet drive tree.
I think the cpu isn't shown just because the bootstrap firmware did not finish the first time.
Good luck
Do you thing I still can "save" the processor?
Is there any light configuration on the processor that indicates the processor is "bricked"?

If you can initiate a transfer through serial, do it serially but follow the advice aboveabout ports shutting down due to screen savers and such.
It will take a while.
Solid reds aren't a good sign but it may work if you re-start a firmware download.