Help with Siemens S7-200

Mostafa

Please help;

Can i use the PC adapter ( MPI- serial converter) to connect my notebook to S7-200 cpu

Thanks

Mostafa

The communications protocol that a S7 200 uses is Siemens PPI (point to point interface) not MPI (multi-point interface) so I guess the answer is no!

You will need the PC-PPI interface cable, part number 6ES7 901-3BF20-0XA0

Paul

Paul,

that's entirely right. MPI works at 187.5 kbaud, whereas S7-200 (and thus PPI) is limited to 9600 or 19200 baud depending on the CPU.

Kind regards,

Thanks guys for replaying but do not forget that S7-200 could be on a MPI network... So Why not?

Mostafa,

you're right about an S7-200 in an MPI network, but that's only to exchange data with S7-300's and S7-400's, not to program the darn thing.

I wonder why we would however use that possiblity, because it means we have to bring the speed of those rather expensive MPI-interfaces down from the normal 187.5 kbaud to 19.2 kbaud. It sounds to me like hiring a 20-tons trailer to get some bread in the bakery less than 1km away from home. Why not use those two long things below my body, I think we call them legs.

Kind regards,