Shift register help

Im just learning the plc programming and one of my tasks (training) is to make a shift register for positioning ie: track a product with a pulse or encoder down a conveyor.......can you help?

Last edited:
One of the first things to establish is whether the mere presence of the product in each time/distance segment is what is to be shifted or if more information is to be shifted (type of product or perhaps a barcode).

Obviously mere presence can be represented by a single bit. Bit shift register commands are available on many PLCs (thus jimfun71's question).

This is an AB rslogix5000 PLC chasis... I need to be able to track the product of one value among multiple other products on the same conveyor

this can be in theroy but I need to apply it to a real world application I would like to learn any thing and every thing about it. I do have a PLC that I can practice on (beat Up)