Robots and plc's

G
Hi all,
on site we have an old Staubli robot on site (it was second-hand we bought it 17 years ago) it uses a language called Vall II and after some problems last week we have been without it for a week now, as there was a problem with the disk drive plus no one on site knows a great deal about it (No one at staubli seams to know a lot about it either).
Now my question what's to stop me from getting rid of the old control system and replacing it with a PLC (AB SLC) it only has 4 joints 1 vertical and 3 horizontal ,its used for palletising boxes and there is only 3 patterns of box layout so I don't think it would be that difficult (big but not that difficult)

Jezz

:) :)

Go for it1

Certainly will be fun, I would imagine. If the controlling devices for the joints are compatible with standard I/O, you should be home free. Go for it and make it happen! :geek:

I'm a little confused.
What part of the control system are you wanting to replace? The whole system?
Tim

I want to get rid of the Val II operating system having look at the unit DC motors can stay but there controllers and encoders will need to be changed ,but we are looking into changing the encoders any how as they are no longer available .All I need to do now is convince my boss it's a good idea..........

banghead

Jezz

Jezz said:
All I need to do now is convince my boss it's a good idea

Previously you wrote:

"on site we have an old Staubli robot on site (it was second-hand we bought it 17 years ago) it uses a language called Vall II and after some problems last week we have been without it for a week now, as there was a problem with the disk drive plus no one on site knows a great deal about it (No one at staubli seams to know a lot about it either)"

I have highlighted some of the more important issues. I could have saved time by just highlighting the whole damned thing!... ;)

If this is not enough to convince your boss, ask him to come up with a better solution... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric