Scara or Jointed Robots PLC controlled

Does anyone knows if there are 5-6 axis lightweight, 6-10 pounds payload, Scara or Jointed Robots that can be programmed and controlled by ladder logic?

If anyone has information I will appreciate it.

Andy

lab Volt

We recently accquired some 5 axis manipulators from Lab Volt. they are preety compact and have a reach of 17" i guess. The problem with the machine is the software. It is what you call 3rd party software. We could never figure out properly how the whole thing was designed. They claim you can program them with C too but we never got to that. They have 4 digital inputs and 4 digital outputs. I guess they were all TTL. We would often hook up the PLC and the robot to do fun stuff. We had a different manipulator that had analog inputs but then it was a bit on the heavier side. The ones i mention are not of the SCARA type.

You probably wanna look for Chamelon on the internet. They were based in Canada and the NJ area if i recall correctly.

Hope this helps.

FYI

I was thinking about what i remember about the machine, they ran of steppers instead of servos. You probably want to do a lot of research before you decide on that peice of equipment. The gripper has two fingers and only two motions (roll and pitch). Dont quote me but i think this machine had 4 relay outputs too. The functionality of the software is amazing but when you put it to work, it would just not work the way it was supposed to.

The other one i spoke about earlier was called the MENTOR ROBOT. I dont know if the company is still around. They were made in UK and used soemthig called WALLI programming. The reach on this one too is close to 17".Very strudy equipment. As I said, heavy but i dont know what your application is. This too has two fingers and two degrees of freedom. Has servo motors and feedback was through potentiometers. Cost like 7000 a peice over 3 years back. Has 8 digital inputs and 8 outputs and 4 analog inputs

Last edited:
Scara robot has his own controller

Scara robot has his own controller
You can teach position by handheld programming device or by computer
From your's question may I answer like this:

With PLC ..yes you can write ladder diagram to control robot
(output from plc ---> input Robot 's controller beware about voltage
read robot's manual first)..
With another controler such as microprocessor or computer programming
too complicate (to make ladder).. but you can try Wizcon software
However, you need more detail about interface device again.

:cool: