Lost communication

pyang071

I kept losing the communication between my computer and the processor (SLC5/05). Everytime when this happens, I have to reboot the computer. Anyone experienced this problem before?

We are using a third part cable to covert from a serise port to a USB.

Appreciate any feedback from the group.

USB/Serial converters are notorious for dropping connections to automation equipment, not just SLC or other A-B controllers. The fact that your PC requires a reboot suggests that the problem is in the USB/Serial device driver.

The model that I strongly recommend is the Keyspan HS-19. It will run every serial protocol that I have tried, including DF1 Full Duplex, DF1 Half Duplex, Modbus RTU, and ASCII.

One exception is that no general-purpose USB/RS232 converter will run the "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver in RSLinx Classic. The Allen-Bradley 1747-UIC is the only mechanism for connecting to DH-485 protocol networks or ports via USB.

In addition to what Ken said above about the Keyspan (works well here), I want to ask when exactly do you lose communications? Especially requiring a reboot?

Power save features can do that, as can under-powered (though that is unlikely for a serial port) USB port.

Ken:

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into the Keyspan after I try to delete two harmony files from the software as Rockwell tech support suggested.

Rdrast:
Regarding to when I lose communcations, I did not pay enough attention to it. However now come to think about, I think the power save might be part of it. Typically, it works well in the morning since I was there to monitoring things. The computer hardly had time to get to power save mode. In the afternoon when I leave the system alone, the problem occurs more often. Thanks for the tip.