Lost communication! Totally my fault!

cdnrookie

Hey guys,

I had a slc 5/03 communicating nicely via 232 connection with my proface HMI until I started playing with the program I had been running for weeks.

Went to download, said something about losing communication with CH0 and in my sleep deprived state I pressed ok.

How do I go about connecting again ?? Nothing I have tried works

Did you use the back up/restore utility for RSLinx?

What was the some thing message exactly?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I had a slc 5/03 communicating nicely via 232 connection with my proface HMI until I started playing with the program I had been running for weeks.

Went to download, said something about losing communication with CH0 and in my sleep deprived state I pressed ok.

How do I go about connecting again ?? Nothing I have tried works

You got that error message because you were about to download a program with a different communications channel configuration than what was existing in your PLC. You should have heeded the warning. Now, you need to correct the communications settings and then download again.

Maybe he has a catch-22 situation. Maybe he also cannot download a new program if he was online via CH0/DF1, and he changed it to ASCII for example.
He can try to use autoconfigure to see if he can get online. If that does not help, he may have to clear the program completely (remove EPROM, remove battery, short VBB-GND), and then start establishing comms all over.

If every suggestion and everything else fails, you can reset the plc to factory default.

Make sure you have a good program copy before doing this.
Make sure to have the correct comms configuration in the program when you download.

1. power down the plc and remove the plc battery.
2. short the memory capacitor out to drain it for 1 minute.
3 replace battery.

regards,
james

You just need to get the comm settings from your Proface HMI Baud rate bits CRC or BCC etc and set you SLC port to the same.

Take a look at the offline program you downloaded to the PLC and check its comm port setup. Post the results and someone here can help.

If you can post the program here someone will look for you. (zip the .RSS file first)

Thanks Guys,

I can still download everything, but clearly I am missing something in the communications settings. Had no problems originally.....

In the program you posted.

Channel 0 (serial port) is set to DF1 full duplex this is the default setting.
Its baud rate is set to 9600 ( default is 19200)
Control line is set for Full Duplex Modem ( default is no handshaking)

Is there a modem connected to the serial port?
What is the baud rate of the HMI set for?

Channel 0 DH485 post.
Baud rate is set for 9600 (default is 19200)
Node address is set for 0 (default is 1)

What is connected to the DH485 port?

No modem attached,

nothing connected to channel 0

I have enclosed a picture of the communications setting for HMI

Thanks again!

proface screen.jpg