Scale Value

baler

Hi! I'm trying to obtain a scaled value for a distance of 1090 units (10nths of 1")read by a distance laser in the range of 4-20ma. I want to use percentage range. How do I go about it?
I'll appreciate any help. Thank you.

More info would help us help you.

What processor are you using?
If the analog signal is connected to an analog card , what is the catalog number of the card? And if you have configured the card, how have you set it up?

Post the program file if you can.

Hi Mickey, thank you very much for your interest.
I don't have a program yet, but I'm going to use a 1769-L32E controller and 1769- MODULE ANALOG INPUT.
I'm really interested in what numbers I should use when I apply the formula for scale value. Specifically to obtain the rate if it is expresed in 0-100%.
In other words, if I use a compute instuction,what would be the expreson factors? Thank tou again for your time.

You configured it in the module itself providing you have correct version of RS5000. You select the type of analog (0-10, 0-20, 4-20 in your case. You then select "Percent Range" in the "Data Format". I selected a 1769-IF8 to test this. There are other ways to do this. Do a search here on scaling if you want more info.

Thank you Mark.
Input type: 4-20ma.
Input data format: Percentage range
Max. scale value: 1090
Min.scale value: 0
Compute instruction: expression= raw data from analog input card * or / by what factor? Can you tell me?

Hello,

Well there is some confusing, mixing of terms, at least for me.

You say percent range, then you say 4-20 or 0 - 1090.

What I provided was the percent of full scale (PFS).

PFS = (100 / (input range high - input range low)) * (input value - input range low)

PFS = (100 / (1090 - 0)) * (input value - 0)

or

PFS = (100 / 1090) * input value

It seems you just want scaling. Which could be:

value = (raw in - IR Low) * ((EU high - EU low) / (IR high - IR low)) + EU low

value = (analog card in - 4) * ((1090 - 0) / (20 - 4)) + 0

or

value = (analog card in - 4) * ((1090 / (20 - 4)))

or

value = (analog card in - 4) * (1090 / 16)

or

value = (analog card in - 4) * 68.125

Excel is a wonderful tool for testing. Just looking you can see the mid-point for the 0 - 1090 is 545 and the mid-point for 4 - 20 is 16.

So, enter the formula and 16 = 50% = 545. If you get a different value the formula is broken.

Good luck,

Mark
http://www.peakhmi.com

Last edited:
Scaling always throws me too, I appreciate the info. :)
I'll play with it in Excel, per your suggestion. Never thought of doing that.

My brain just doesn't process scaling the way your brain does. I ask for help on scaling to colleagues and they ask me for help on things I'm good at. I love this forum!