Keyence KV40 communications error - why?

artfromny

I have 2 Keyence KV40s that I cannot get to communicate with the Ladder Builder program.

I built a cable exactly to the specs on the Keyence site, ohmed it out to verify that I had the connections between the RJ11 plug and the DB9 connector correct. On the off chance that I mis-understood the pin numbering on the RJ11 as shown on Keyence's site, I built a second cable with the pins on the RJ11 reversed. Neither worked.

I used 2 PCs, on MS Vista, one XP pro, neither worked - I always get an error message telling me communication failed, check communications settings or cabling. The only setting that Ladder Builder lets me change is COM port # and baud rate - tried various baud rates, verified COM 1 is the correct ports.

Both PCs work fine with a home-made cable programming my DL105; it seems likely that I have the cable construction down properly. Niether of the KV40s are new, but it seems unlikely that 2 out of 2 have a communications problem. I suppose I could buy a few more KV40s to verify that, but it seems extravagant.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Art

thats what I used to make the cable, and I made it with the pinouts as indicated (Keyence reverses the standard modular RJ11 pin assignments) and I also made it with the pinouts as per the ISOC standard - no joy either way.

I also found this link http://www.maplesystems.com/1025/10250003.pdf and wired accordingly - no help there.

Guess I need to buy one premade :)

BeckZ's wiring diagram is correct for Visual and the Kv series. Is it possible you have the wrong ladder builder package? It should be the KV ladder builder.

the Ladder Builder software is still capable of programming both the older non-display types KV and the newer visual type KV's with display. if i remember it right you have to choose KV-24/40_A/D in the PLC selection if your PLC (KV-40) is the visual type.

no need for you to buy a premade cable if you followed the wiring diagram I provided, since it was based from the one being sold by Keyence.

check if there are other software that conflicts your com port (e.g. RS-Logix, RS-View or other PLC software)

thank you I will follow all of your suggestions. I do not have any other software running at the same time Ladder Builder is running. When I went to Keyence's site to down load Ladder Builder for KV it gave me the same zip file I had used to download the software I am trying to run.

I really appreciate all the help I get here, and hope that one day I will know enough about PLCs to help other newbies. In the meanwhile if anyone has a question about EFD fluid dispensers, just holler :)
Art

I have older KV-40's and nothing that runs on vista works with them. Going to Enchanted Forest this summer?

keyence kv40 to pc connection

the real connections for a kv40 are:
kv pin 3 to pc 9sub connector pin 2
kv pin 5 to pc 9sub connector pin 3
kv pin 4 to pc 9sub connector pin 5
and jumpers
pc 9sub connector pin 4 and 6
pc 9sub connector pin 7 and 8

This works on xp and xp in vmware player on a linux desktop/laptop
it also works with usb to rs232 cables
Hope this helps
Regards jazz, Saigon