Perfect Citizen

Greetings all!

The NSA is proposing a new system called "Perfect Citizen", which has some interesting ramifications for our PLC brethren in the infrastructure industry, such as water management, power and transportation.

"A report in the Wall Street Journal explains "Perfect Citizen will look at large, typically older computer control systems that were often designed without Internet connectivity or security in mind. Many of those systems--which run everything from subway systems to air-traffic control networks--have since been linked to the Internet, making them more efficient but also exposing them to cyber attack."

I'm not espousing an opinion about this one way or the other, but I am curious if any of our members in these fields has been looking at this at all. We discussed here once before how a PLC-eating virus could wreak havoc on american industry - maybe someone at the NSA read that thread :)

Link to full article:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...s_big_brother_concerns_in_private_sector.html

TM

What would be appropriate is a SERVICE from the NSA offered to potentially vulnerable 'now Internet connected' installations. The service should, with the company's cooperation, launch a series of benign probes of the type expected by their research. Then information should be offered to the company regarding methods of minimizing their vulnerability. That would be a valid case of 'I'm from the government, I'm here to help you.'