The perfect Traffic Light Graphic example...

For those of you from the other side of the pond who don't feel too comfortable with roundabouts, I'd suggest you avoid [url = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_%28Hemel_Hempstead%29]this one[/url] if you visit the UK.

Edit: I seem to have forgotten how to create links - just copy the url into your browser.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Take a look at the roundabout in the pic. It shows that every entrance to the roundabout has traffic lights on it. These lights are working 24/7/365, and as you can see it was pretty deserted when the photo was taken. In fact I know it is like this for MOST of every workday, and ALL of a weekend.

I estimate that the regulatory lights are only needed for say 2 hours on a weekday morning, and similar in the evening (the so-called "rush-hour"). That means they could be switched off for 158 hours a week, and consequently save us some energy !!

Deserted Roundabout.jpg

For those of you from the other side of the pond who don't feel too comfortable with roundabouts, I'd suggest you avoid [url = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_%28Hemel_Hempstead%29]this one[/url] if you visit the UK.

Edit: I seem to have forgotten how to create links - just copy the url into your browser.

I think the Magic Roundabout in Swindon UK takes the prize for the most complex !

Easiest way to make a link is to copy the URL from your browser bar to the clip-board (Ctrl-C), then in your posting, highlight the text you want to be a link, hit the Insert Link button in the posting editor (middle, bottom row), and paste (Ctrl-V) the URL into the dialog that pops up.

HTH

Swindon Magic Roundabout.jpg

We have a few around here but it is called a rotary.

-Dave

Roundabouts
Traffic Circles
Rotaries
Gyratory Systems
Mini Roundabouts
Raindrop Roundabouts
Roundabout Interchanges
Controlled Roundabouts
Magic Roundabouts
Ring Junctions
Hamburger Roundabouts
Cut-Through Roundabouts
Through-Abouts

and even

Turbo Roundabouts !!

See it all here

There's even an appreciation society !! :rolleyes:

If you want to see roundabouts get yourself over to Milton Keynes, there is a roundabout every 100 yards.

Most of the roads are called V1, V2, V3 etc and H1, H2, H3, etc.. The V meaning vertical as in north to south and the H meaning horizontal as in west to east.

Mark