S7-200 to WinCC

descooling

Hey all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to link an S7-200 224CPU
directly to WinCC ver 6, i.e. via a COM port on the PC via
a PC/PPI cable possibly????

Looking for the cheapest method possible (No Ethernet etc.)

If yes are you aware of cable length issues, required settings etc.

Cheers

DES

Des

This question rung a bell with me, so after a quick search I came across This Thread

Ron's answer to this question might be what you are looking for.

I have never done this so I can't be of much more help, perhaps Jean Pierre will read this post and offer his advice.

paul

Paul,

you were right I would read this post and offer my advice. It seems I'm hooked up to this site and I'm in the impossibility not to react. It's kind of an addiction. (Is that the right way to say it, English is not my native tongue)

Des,

I wouldn't know why it should not be possible. After all, both WinCC and S7-200 are Siemens products. What I do know is that it is possible with Citect, which is a competitor (and a strong one over here in Flanders) for WinCC. WinCC also offers the possibility to communicate to other PLC's from other manufacturers. I'll have to look into it to see how and why, but WinCC is not my cup of tea.

Kind regards,

Cheers guys,

I've found some stuff in their FAQ on their website. They
detail using Modbus Serial, which is a seperate driver at around
€500..... Crazy.

You'd assume they'd ship their own SCADA package to communicate
with their own PLCs. I checked out the link which details using
the MPI connection. I'm still not totally convinced though, and I
don't want to fork out the money with out proof. So if
there's anybody out there who did it let me know..

DES

Hi Des,

It's perfectly possible to connect an S7-200 with the MPI port to WinCC ver6.0. Just follow the link of Plucas.
And now for those who are interested;
There isn't such a big difference between WinCC ver 5.2 and ver 6.0.
One of the mean differences is that you not only can write your scripts in C but in ver 6.0 you also can write it in VBS. Please take in mind that VBS is not exactly the same as VB or VBA !! Syntax is different aswell as datatypes. VBS only uses one datatype 'VARIANT'. It took me some time to get the syntax right.
An other difference is that Ver 6.0 is now using SQL-server of Bill (microschoft) Gates instead of Sybase. If have already made a connection to a SQL server over the network and it works really fine.
Any question related to S5, S7 or WinCC I would be very glad to answer if I know the answer offcors.

Rudi