Small servo on SLC505

I used the Ultra100 with DeviceNet on a 5/04 for knife positioning once. After I got the explicit messaging figured out it was not to bad. The Ultra100 is being phased out and its recommended replacement is the Ultra3000. I am about use it with DeviceNet again for a gap position project.

Jim
GO JETS

The Ultra 3000 indexing drive with DeviceNet is my choice for single-axis systems.

When I first saw the I/O image for the 3000, I remember thinking "they listened !". It makes parameter transfers much easier than they were in the Ultra 100, and does so without making the assembly into a fragmented DeviceNet message.

The only problem I've had with the Ultra 3000 on DNet is when the installer fails to ground the DeviceNet shield at the power supply; any motion controller puts out enough noise to cause network problems. They always go away when I ground things properly.

Ken

Do you mean that you do not have to deal with those explicit messaging rungs from the old Ultra100 D-Net manual??

Jim
Go JETS

The Ultra 100 required explicit messaging if you had more than a little bit of data to exchange with the drive.

Inside the Polled I/O image, the Ultra 100 had a Feedback Data Index pointer that allowed you to select one of 5 available parameters for feedback in the Input Assembly.

It also had a Command Data Index pointer that allowed you to set one of 17 RAM parameters using the Output Assembly.

The Ultra 3000's DeviceNet interface uses the same I/O mechanisms, but expands them to the point where Explicit Messaging is seldom required.

The Feedback Data Index pointer can select one of fourteen available parameters to be returned in the Input Data Assembly.

The 8-bit Command Data Index pointer allows you to set one of 244 available RAM parameters using the Output Data Assembly. An expanded version of this mechanism with a 32-bit Parameter Instance pointer, allows you to write to all 1059 Parameters in the drive. This is especially handy when you're setting up new Index values.