Profibus in GE 90-30 Series

Hi

I am using GE fanuc 90- 30 series CPU, IC693CPU351

If i need to use profibus communication do i need to buy any profibus module or can we able to configure RS485 port as SNP in CPU itself. Pls suggest me.

You can install a profibus master module (IC693PBM200) or a Profibus slave module (IC693PBS201). You could also swap the CPU351 for a CPU module with built-in Profibus capabilities; the IC693CPU366 (master) or IC693CPU367 (slave).

I'm not well versed in Profibus, so I'll leave it up to others to comment on the significance of the fact that GEIP specifies the interface as Profibus DP. That implies to me that there are other flavors of Profibus available and you need to make sure the other Profibus devices you're looking at will play nicely with what's available for the 90-30.

The IC693CPU351 has two serial ports, port1 is RS-232 and port2 is RS-485 either can be configured for SNP, RTU, or ASCII protocol as Master or Slave. But this is completly unrelated to Profibus.

Horner and SST make a profibus module also. To configure the profibus module will need to be running Proficy, Versaview. You can program with logicmaster but you would have to have Versaview configuration. (Is that what is was called "versaview" I can't remember for sure)

The program was development in LM90 software. I took backup and converted to Proficy machine edition. But i cannot able to view the Profibus module alone why? the slot is showing empty for me.

Given that it was done in Logicmaster, it could be a Horner Profibus module which would show in Logicmaster configuration as a "foreign" module. I've never used Profibus, but I once did a system with a Horner DeviceNet module. For that, in addition to Logicmaster configuration you also needed configuration software from Horner. Maybe they used a similar strategy for their Profibus module. If so, all the configuration details won't be included in the Logicmaster file.

If it is a Horner module the part number starts with "HE693" instead of "IC693"

Steve Logicmaster can't configure profibus at all. I just can't get my head around what has to be done after converted to Proficy. Sad thing is I have did it at least 4 times.

I think I am at the point that if I learn something new something that I did know gets pushed out. like a FIFO.

Last edited:
Smoke, you're right. Logicmaster couldn't configure DeviceNet either. Logicmaster configured the Horner DeviceNet master and slave modules as "foreign" modules. All that was included in Logicmaster configuration was the starting addresses and quantity of each data type (%I, %AI, %Q, %AQ). If there was a mismatch between the number of words of data in Logicmaster configuration and the corresponding amount in the configuration you created and downloaded with the Horner DeviceNet configurator software, you got no data transferred. To make it even more confusing I seem to remember that Horner counted everything in bytes, while GE counted in words for %AI and %AQ data and bits for %I and %Q.

Based on my experience with DeviceNet, I'm assuming they approached Profibus in similar fashion.