Rslogix 5000

pcsparks

I have recently purchased RSLOGIX 5000 and would like to upload a program from a compactlogix L32 processor, Can I use a crossover ethernet cable or do I need to connect to the 9pin D shell plug on the processor.If so what cable do I need to purchase.
I have tried to use the ethernet socket on the processor and on my laptop but I can not see the processor.
my laptop only has 1 ethernet connection and 3 USB connections.
Thanks for your help.

You can upload the program from either port.

Be aware it is worth while getting a copy of the original suppliers program, as it will have full documentation, an upload will give you the Symbols, but not the descriptions.

In RSLinx have you set up the RS232 DF1 Driver. ?
If you use the RS232 port the 9 pin D shell plug then you want the Null modem cable which is pin 2 to pin 3, pin 3 to pin 2, and pin 5 to pin 5.

If you want to use Ethernet have you set up the Ethernet driver in RSLinx.?
Do you know what subnet the PLC is on.?
Do you know what subnet your Laptop is on.?
They both need to be on the same subnet.
The cable to use for direct connection is a crossover cable , but if going through a switch it is a straight patch cable.
In a Control Logixs it will automatically negotiate the cable but I am unsure if the Compact Logixs will do that.

As this is your first post Welcome to the forum from another Kiwi.
What software are you familiar with as not knowing your experience we may have difficulty knowing where to aim our assistance.

Last edited: