Step7 v.11

luccass

As you all probably know the new version of Step 7 is to be released at the end of this year.
This is to cover S7-1200, 300 and 400 family.

What surprised me is the lack of STL in the new software. Apparently IEC didn't accept STL as a standard so Siemens is giving it up. To be able to work with the PLCs that have already been programmed in STL, the existing version of STEP7 is to be transformed into Step7 Classic.

What's your opinion on that? Many of us is using STL to do what's impossible to do in LAD and SCL - do you think they are going to make the remaining languages more flexible?

Wouldn't be surprised if SCL becomes core language then. If so, I hope they develop it far more than what it currently has been, since at the moment it's primitive at best...

I would be happy if SCL/ST became the core language.
What is it that is possible in STL but impossible in SCL ?

Anyway, have you got any hard information that v11 is going to be released "end of this year" ?
I would be surprised if the unified STEP7 for S7-1200, S7-300 and S7-400 will be released any time soon.

Where did you get this information? I can’t believe that Siemens is giving up the STL language. 90% of the PLC’s I work on are written in STL. No support for the STL language would be a major issue for me for not upgrading to the next version. :cry:

As you all probably know the new version of Step 7 is to be released at the end of this year...
:rolleyes:
friend of Siemens employee said:
As you all probably know the new version of Step 7 v5.5 is to be released at the end of march...
When it ?

info 02/2010 said:
Step7 V5.5 support Windows 7 32-bit
It comes on april, and on july or august the PLCSim, S7Graph, SCL,... supports Windows 7 32-bit.

WinCC Flexible 2008 SP2 comes Q2/2010 and supports Windows 7 32-bit (Ready: 2010-05-06 http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/38612895 )
Support PC Runtime wide resolutions : 1920x1200, 1920x1080, 1680x1050, 1440x900

End of year TIA Portal Step7 Basic V11 wil come, it integrates full flexible and supports 1200 V2.

Next year, the TIA Portal V11.5 and V12 may come.
Here are Step7 and WinCC then also be integrated.
wincc10.gif

But who knows how it really developed.
August 2010. When it ?
New info said:
My newest infos are August 2010
Сan not be trusted first-hand information.
Our "internal" sources of information compromised by actions of developers.
:cry:

Last edited:
I am sure that there is already now a working beta for this new wonderful software, but it is for developers only, and it may be years before we see a customer ready release.
WinCC Flexible was released way too early. As an early adopter, that almost got my b***s in a vice.

I would be happy if SCL/ST became the core language.
What is it that is possible in STL but impossible in SCL ?

Can you manually open DB, point to certain UDT within this DB and execute a FB to work 'on' this UDT?

Anyway, have you got any hard information that v11 is going to be released "end of this year" ?
I would be surprised if the unified STEP7 for S7-1200, S7-300 and S7-400 will be released any time soon.
Have attended S7-1200 presentation and Siemens people clarified, as they call it, 'major software transformation' to us.
What I understood is:
- Step 7 Basic and Pro will evaluate to ver 5.5 soon.
- New version of of Step7 Basic V.11 is to be released in Nov'10 (SCL supported).
- Step 7 Pro V.11 - released at the end of the year (no STL supported)
- Step 7 Pro 5.5 will become Classic (to support STL projects)
- ver.11 and 5.5 will run together on the same machine with no problem (Win7 will be supported for ver.11, not sure about 5.5)

Even if they don't manage to release everything this year, next year looks to be the year of change.

In the meantime more modules and firmware upgrade is planned for 1200.

I didn't see anything written down - just Siemens people words during short 'clarification'

Can you manually open DB, point to certain UDT within this DB and execute a FB to work 'on' this UDT?
That is a technique to circumvent some of the limitations of "regular" STL.
I know that some people swear to this method, but there is the potential to screw things up regaly. To get the same functionality I would suggest "regular" multiple instance, which can be done in both STL and SCL, and which is checked by STEP7.
I am sure there are other methods in STL that are not possible in SCL. But by that optics, there opposite is also true.
I meant, what task is it that is impossible in SCL but possible in STL ?

Thanks for the info about the new software versions.
Still sceptical though that the unified STEP7 will come so soon.

How about new "plus" device S7-1300/S7-1500 in new TIA Portal Step 7 Pro ?
This info from TIA Portal 10.5 !
C:\Program Files\Siemens\Automation\Portal V10\Bin\en\Siemens.Simatic.Lang.BlockLogic.resources.dll
6313956db5a2.gif

I mean that the new IM151-8 and 319 CPUs and STEP7 v5.5 have nothing particular to do with the new STEP7 v11. They are a continuation of the older (to be called "classic" ?) S7 PLCs.

I mean that the new IM151-8 and 319 CPUs and STEP7 v5.5 have nothing particular to do with the new STEP7 v11. They are a continuation of the older (to be called "classic" ?) S7 PLCs.
I think that the new processors v3.2 really should be a new series S7-1300 for TIA Portal Pro 2010 ...
But if no
TIA Portal Pro 2010
then
no new S7-1300 :(
I can not believe your information because you not answer to direct questions.
I know that the "wonderful" beta v11 is very buggy and slow.