Output filtering from a Logix 5000 PID loop

soccerdad

I have a project for a Contrologix PLC that has a cooling loop in it. It is a very slow loop due to the mechanical systems and has a big D value. The loop works very well, but the PID output sends the control valve big swings very quickly. It can change +/- 20% in a second until the process comes in control. This rapid change freaks the valve out. Is there a basic output filter in the Rockwell PID that I can buffer or slow down the changes? I am sure I can send it through a filter, but am looking to see if one of the PID parameters can be set to do this. There are dozens of variables in the PID setup in Logix 5000.

Thanks

Last edited:
The PIDE block has a Rate of Change setting in it, so you can limit the output that way (units are %/minute). It's on the EU/Limits tab on the PIDE block.