freewave radios to modicon PLC's

mgmcontrols

Can anyone assist in the proper setup on the pinout for the freewave radio FGR to the modicon PLC 612. I have tried the normal 3 wire config with the cts/rts on modicon tied together but I cannot get the data to pass between the radio & the PLC.
the modicons & the radios are set to 2400 /8/1/even but i still see nothing.🔨 I am very frustrated and i know it is something very simple that i have missed.

are the radio's and your master device configured for no flow control?

perhaps you should use a program like "modbus poll" to make sure that you can communicate with the plc without the radios, then you can work back once you determine that you can communicate with the plc.

Last edited:
I think you also have to jumper DSR (pin 2) on the PLC to DSR and DTR on the radio. The XMIT Software Loadable User Manual, 840USE11300, has connector pinouts for just about every combination of ports.

Mike

I have tried several different pinouts per that document to no avail.
It makes no sense I have used these radios since 1999 with AB and Control
microsystems PLC's and this is a retrofit from hell. I know someone has done this setup before me and there has to be a simple fix.

I have tried several different pinouts per that document to no avail.
It makes no sense I have used these radios since 1999 with AB and Control
microsystems PLC's and this is a retrofit from hell. I know someone has done this setup before me and there has to be a simple fix.

how do you know its the pinout?

I have no problems with the radio comms and have done loop-back test
with hyperterm and radios transmit data back, but I do not see a response from radio between PLC on either master or slave on bench

ok, so you know the radios are working. have you used a program like modbus poll to try and connect directly to the plc? im assuming since it is a modicon that you are using modbus communications. I find it is much easier to start at the source(the plc), and then work your way back in steps.

yes I started back at the master and now I have determined that it does have something to do with the radio to plc config. The master plc sends out a poll using modbus polling and we see the slave come light with data
traffic but then nothing comes back to the master and we do not see the master radio accept the message.

if you go to www.modbustools.com they have a program called modbus poll. download it and try and poll the slave using the correct settings. sounds liek something isnt setup right.

also, they have a program called modbus slave that you can use to test the master. basically you can set it up like it is a slave with your same modbus registers and test the master's polling.

check them out. very very useful stuff to use when troubleshooting.

thanks for the tools location. I can poll the plc but I recieve a timeout error. the slave plc blinks on the port being sent to but no response back. At least I know I can send data but it is not getting transfered