Channel1.Device1 error on PV1250 after IP change

R Doyle

IT is doing some network upgrades and as a result we have to change IP's on all of our machines. Of course this is a weekend project.

I am having an issue with one machine. Hardware is SLC 505, PanelView 1250+, and Emerson Servo with FM3E module. We "believe" we have changed all occurences of the IP in all of the hardware. All hardware shows up in Linx with correct IP's. Even the servo is shown. I "think" the PV is communicating with the Emerson via Modbus TCP.

The problem is that there is 1 value that is written from the PV to the servo and that is no longer working. We are getting a couple errors on the panelview. They are:

"Problem writing value 425 to item 'Channel1.Device1.PLS1_1'"
425 is the value I entered and PLS1_1 is a variable in the servo

"Unable to write to address 400023 on device 'Channel1.Device1' "
I see 40023 listed in the Modbus variables in the drive.

I noticed a similar error on this forum and it points to an OPC tag issue. Is this my issue? All help is appreciated. I need to get this running this weekend.

Cycled power on all hardware.

It does "seem" that it's likely related to the servo tags that the panelview is using. Like the tags are still connected to the old IP some how.

Remember that PanelView Plus terminals use an embedded runtime of KepServerEX to communicate to non-Allen-Bradley devices.

You need to change the target IP address in the KepServer configuration software, save the KepServer configuration file to the location and filename that's configured as the "default configuration file" in KepServer, then re-create the *.MER.

The *.MER runtime file carries the KepServer configuration with it when you load it into the PV+, and it specifically uses the configuration file that is saved in the default path/filename, even if it's not named "default.pfe".

I don't think there is a way to edit the target addresses of the KepServer onboard the PV+ terminal.

Thanks Ken.
That's kinda was I was getting from one of your previous posts. I can't seem to find the Kepware software though. Is it a separate install from the Rockwell? I don't see it installed on the laptop with the AB software. The machine was built by an outside vendor.

RA bundles a version of KepServer called KepServer Enterprise withFactoryTalk View Studio. Runtimes are built in to the PV+ and are licensed separately for FTView SE.

While KepServer Enterprise is almost identical to KepServer EX, don't try to install and use KepServer EX directly from Kepware; the licensing and activation is different, and the versions of KepServer Enterprise are specifically tested and compatible with FTView (and the PV+).

If the CD doesn't contain what you need, KepServer Enterprise can likely be downloaded using the same serial number as your FTView Studio software.