220vac I/O

theDave2

Ok, please don't questions the reason or give alternatives but ...

I'm looking for a plc that has 220vac inputs and Form C relay outputs for 220vac.

AB has the form C outputs, GE the inputs. What one does both ?

Spectrum Controls makes some specialty modules for several PLC makers that have unusual or extended voltage ranges.

The 1771sc-IM16 module, for example, provides discrete inputs at 220/240 VAC for the PLC-2/3/5 platform.

The also make one for the SLC-500 platform, but not for ControlLogix or CompactLogix.

There are probably several other brands and models, but the first one that comes to mind:

Automation Direct DL-205 PLC,
with a D2-08NA-2, AC Input Module, range 170 to 265 VAC, and
with a F2-08TRS, Relay Output Module, range 12 to 240 VAC., 3 Form C outputs, 5 Form A outputs.

Last edited:
What about the 1756-IM16I module for Logix Ken? I see it listed as 159-265VAC isolated 16 point input.
The 1756-OA16 is also rated for 265VAC (output).

For CompactLogix, the 1769-IM12 is again, rated for 240VAC input, 12 channels.

Last edited:
Thanks to all that replied. I'll be looking at each.

Just to be a little more clear ... It's not USA install, so NFPA doesn't apply. Space and cost is an issue.

I need 22 Form C relay outputs, and 2 Form A to interface with external equipment, along with 18 more outputs for internal panel use and about 40 inputs.

Some of the cards mentioned have only 2 or 4 Form C relays so that's a lot of cards.

There is a Phoemix PLC type brand (name, not a plc) relay that can be gang mounted and has a ribbon cable back to an output card (I presume 24vdc) so that you do't have to wire each relay. Anyone have experiance with that ?

The 1756-OX8I relay output module has 8 form C contacts, BUT I'd strongly suggest that you go with a (hear me out) high density (32 point) 24 VDC output card, perhaps with a pre-made wiring arm, and use that to drive individual DIN mount solenoid drivers. Something like: http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12768/229240/229266/229643/229703/tab3.html
I'd suggest that is a better choice, as the individual relays can be quickly changed out when the contacts fail.

theDave2,

Since you mentioned that this is not a USA install.

1. Other countries use the NFPA rules as well.
2. What are the power/voltage/frequency ratings of the country you are shipping to? Not everyone uses 120/220/440 volts, 60 hz.
3. Are you aware that there is a restriction on devices that have programmable memory that will be shipped to other countries? Special paperwork is required. Tarrifs and duties also apply.
4. Do you have a customs broker to take care of all the paperwork for you?

We shipped into / out of the country in my previous life.

regards,
james