Micrologix 1400 Memory

JDCROCKETT724

I am writing a program where I have to store barcode strings into the program. The problem that I am having is that my string file by itself is just over the 10k memory limit of the controller. On the flip side, my program files are not all that large. Is there a way I can reconfigure the memory within the PLC to, let's say, 13k data words and 7k program memory? Otherwise I cannot compile and download the project.

Alright, to answer my own question I was told by AB that the memory is not configurable. It looks like I am going to have to create a work around to reduce my string data.

Each element in your string file is 82 characters whether you use them or not, plus another integer for the length, so you're looking at the equivalent of 43 N registers per ST element.

If your longest string is only 24 characters, you could store that in 12 N (16 bit integers), plus one more for the length field. This will save you a whopping 40 bytes per barcode.

Whether you can do this depends on how you're using the data. If you need to parse the string and insert or remove characters, then use ST elements for that part of the code.

If you are just reading a string from a barcode reader and checking for equality, then you only really need two string elements, and you can COP integers into the ST elements for the compare, and then take action on the results.

It is possible for the Panelview Standard to display a "character array" or string on screen while pointed at an integer base tag, so nothing is lost there. I am not sure about the PV+, but I expect it is still possible. There's another thread going recently about doing this with a red lion G3, and I am sure it can be done, but I haven't tested the latest response.

So, can you tell what the max string length actually is going to be?

And what are you doing with those strings as far as manipulation and HMI?

Last edited: