WinCC options. What to choose?

Serg_Rus

Hello everybody
I'm working on a project now. I need to install WinCC SCADA system. The problem is that I also need to have an additional server which will provide access from MES factory level to my archived data and also implement a Web service.
The basic setup is:
2 single user WinCC stations(about 1500 tags max) with Redundancy option in order to provide higher availability of control and prevent loss of data.
What should I install on my dedicated server? I suppose I need a copy of MS SQL Server to accumulate all the data. But how do I put it there? I'm quite confused with available options: Industrial DataBridge, Connectivity station, Central Archive server... What do I really need?! Also, the lowest possible cost is very important. Can I possibly collect all the data using SQL server queries only? After all WinCC stores everything in SQL Server Express instances on the operator stations.
And will any of above mentioned options provide SOAP-compatible XML web-service? Or have I still to code it myself?
So, please can you recommend me any suitable architecture, considering both the cost of software and labour-intensity?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it really has to be WinCC :( I can't change that. Siemens really knows how to persuade factory managers. I will investigate your recommendation in the future, but for now I need to develop a WinCC project.

WinCC OPC? What do you mean exactly? To use WinCC as OPC server so that OPC clients from MES level could access OPC data?
Also, if we put cost problem aside for a moment, what would be the best WinCC architechture for the task of redundancy, central database logging and providing a Web service?

WinCC OPC? What do you mean exactly? To use WinCC as OPC server so that OPC clients from MES level could access OPC data?
Also, if we put cost problem aside for a moment, what would be the best WinCC architechture for the task of redundancy, central database logging and providing a Web service?

Hello Sergey;
Have a look at this product information page for WinCC options.
You will fnd different add-ons for specific tasks, such as WinCC/Redundancy, various options for archiving (such as the Connectibity Pack, the Industrial dataBridge and the CAS, depending on what exactly you need to do) and WinCC Web Navigator (server and client).
https://www.automation.siemens.com/.../wincc-options/Pages/Default.aspx?HTTPS=REDIR
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

I haven't used wincc opc personally, but as far as I know you can use wincc as an opc server, yes. And in that case you might be able to create own applications to get the tag values, alarms etc to mes level. But as I said - I haven't used this opc, so I don't know how powerful it is.

For web application we used wincc webnavigator in a project. This was pretty good, but a very expensive solution. The wincc server also acts as a web server and makes it possible to use internet explorer (with a plugin) to get access to all data. Quite easy to set up to, btw.

Central database logging i have been in touch with MIS. Commonly used by pharma industry. I don't like it, feels like quite old gui and to make it suite our demands we had to implement an access-vb app. There are others, but I don't remember the names atm.

Redundancy you can add to wincc at installation, but I don't know the cost of it - licenses etc.

Might be worth a call:

http://www.prediktor.no/business_solutions/Pages/default.aspx

Colleges of mine have used APIS from Prediktor for MES tasks and tracking. OPC to redundant WinCC servers. Has got Web interface included.

Their website is far from fancy, I recon their focus is on development...
icon7.gif

Kalle

Well, it seems that Central Archive server can aggregate all archived data into one database. What seems strange is that Siemens tells I need their OLE-DB technology (part of connectivity pack) to access that database from VB or C# application. It's just a SQL server, isn't it? The .NET framework has plenty of tools to work with SQL server. Is siemens' database somehow encrypted or does it have unusual structure?
Considering Web service it seems that connectivity pack can provide some functionality with OPC XML DA technology.
Many things seem unclear to me still...