Have to collect data from 4 devices with HART,need solution

idell

Hi people! have to acquire data from 4 flow meters of steam (SITRANS FX300) on computer, they have HART protocol, I searched but didn't find siemens solution, what adapter can I use ?

It depends on what you want data you need from HART.

The presence of HART assumes a conventional 4-20mA analog signal.

If all you need is flow rate, you use a PLC analog input, connect the 4-20mA transmitter output and you get flow rate.

HART also provides secondary, 3rd and 4th variables, and status and diagnostic data as digital data superimposed on the 4-20mA signal.

The FX300 has total flow as secondary, temp or line pressure as 3rd or 4th (if the line pressure option is part of the meter)

Whether any particular PLC has an I/O card that can grab HART data is specific to the brand. I believe A-B CLX has a HART I/O module, but I'm foggy on details. Other brands might, too.

The most common method of grabbing the secondary, 3rd and 4th variables as analog values is Moore Industries's breakout box, the DIN rail mounted HIM module. It takes the 4-20mA from the transmitter, outputs up to 2 or 3 variables.
http://www.miinet.com/products/sg_hart.shtml

Moore also has a HART to Modbus converter.

There are USB HART modems that programs like Siemens' Windows based PDM uses to communicate with transmitter, primarily for configuration purposes, but I'm not aware of its use otherwise.

Pepperl & Fuchs and Phoenix Contact offer HART multiplexors that deal with multiple HART field devices. The hardware is costly and it assumes a software package can deal with the data on the demultiplexed side. I am only aware of US paper companies using this for valve positioner diagnostic maintenance management, so there doesn't seem to be much discussion of it.

danw thanks for your consistent response. so it seems to be expensive to aquire data from hart devices on PC. We need Totalizer on the computer from 4 flow metter. I think to use a simple PLC (S7-1200) to count pulses of totalizers and transmit to computer. what do you think?

Yes you can do that. We have a project almost like yours, except that we have flow, pressure and temperature but we are also using the S7-1200. For you to transfer the data from the PLC to the PC you need to buy an OPC server like Simatic Net, and you also have to make your own OPC client or use some scada which might be too expensive for your application.

nonuke thanks, for pc sides is supposed to use WinCC Flex Runtime (it is quite cheap and with no OPC) and use scripts to work with SQL database

If flow total is what you are seeking, then counting pulses is the cleanest way of doing it, particularly if you can get the total data from the PLC via OPC server.

Hello everyone,
Danw has provided accurate information, we just wanted to let you know that since the last post, and for future reference, Phoenix Contact now offers a WirelessHART gateway and adapter that could assist you in an application like this. The gateway converts the HART protocol to Modbus TCP which can be polled from any plc. Furthermore the adapter can be connected up to four hart devices and transmit all their data back to the gateway. Both hart devices are manufacturer independent, which means they will be able to communicate and are interoperable with any other manufacturer's HART device (ie emerson, p&F etc). The following link has more detailed information if you are interested. Hope this is helpful in the future.
http://www.phoenixcontact.com/signal-level-matching/31240_60075.htm