Where Can I learn to write programs from flow charts ?

AustinT

Hi,

I have most of the basics down for the instructions of PLCS but I need to learn how to write programs from flow charts using the transition and function logic. I found a book by Hugh Jack and I would like to find more resources. Does anybody recommend and good reading that will help me develop programs?

Thank You

Hello Austin;
What you describe resembles IEC 61131-3 language SFC (Sequential File Chart), which uses the transition and step (function) logic.
Have a look at a presentation of the language here:

http://www.61131.com/sfc.htm

An implementation from Siemens is called S7-Graph (its name indicated it refers to the original development of sequential controls for PLCs, named Grafcet).
Here is a link to the manual, so you can have an idea of the programming:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/1137630

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
That is a great video on youtube. This is exactly the kind of programming I am trying to learn. Why did he not have separate state and transition logic? Where can I learn more on programming methods? Is this how all of you tackle programming?

Thanks again

I noticed with this type of programming two output states are active for one scan. Is this ever a problem and how do you get around it

Just wanted to thank everybody again it makes sense now! I did the logixpro silo simulation following the you tube video that Archie posted. I noticed that the product would still build up on the floor. After putting the simulation in single scan mode I noticed that two outputs were on at one time for a single scan. After looking at some of the comments on Youtube it appeared others noticed the same problem. I wrote another ladder logic with separate transition and state logic's. Now only one output is activated at a time and the pink goo doesn't build up on the floor in the simulation

Or in Archie's states another could have been added - 'waiting for flow to stop' - before restarting the belt. One of the tricks of writing for real world devices is that turn-on and turn-off take actual time and aren't instantaneous.

Or in Archie's states another could have been added - 'waiting for flow to stop' - before restarting the belt. One of the tricks of writing for real world devices is that turn-on and turn-off take actual time and aren't instantaneous.

Yup. I write state logic (using ladder) almost exclusively. I always think of things in terms of "logical state," which applies after one scan, and ""physical state" which is going to take a while to happen and catch up with the logic.

Often it doesn't matter. On systems that have motion - like a cell I have that uses an X-Z gantry to move product around the cell - it's often critical. That is, the logical state has just set all the flags and the output to move a load, and that's what has to be used to IK other actions that can't occur until the load moves from A to B. If I waited for the motion controller or drive or whatnot to change it's state, too, well there could be a lot of collisions.

I guess the moral is that you can get yourself in trouble no matter what programming system you use!