SIL3 Safety PLC

echos

Can someone please recommend a safety PLC to me, GuardLogix, HIMA, Triconix ..... I have a small program that requires to use 2oo3 voting, de-energise some solenoids. In your experience which of these PLC's have 2oo3 blocks, am i restricted to use the safety blocks ONLY? Also is it true that you cannot use reals in guardlogix?? are all saftety plcs that restricted, are they all like this?

thanks in advance

2 out of 3 voting is rare.
If you are working to a specification that states it must be a safety PLC with 2oo3 then you are really limited.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16688290/PLC-Compare

Remember that the guardlogix has 2 parts, the safety program and the normal logic.
You can use whatever and do whatever you want in the normal logic.
The safety logic is more tied down because it should be used only for the safety part of the process.

Regards Alan Case

Thank you Alan that link is very useful. It does not mention GuardLogix can someone tell me if GuardLogix uses 2oo3 voting. Also does safety logic really only use discretes? thanks guys

Last edited:
Alan, I had a chance to meet you about 3 weeks ago! Boss said you were in the office, but had left by the time I found out.

Phil Prout being my Manager.

Next time.

I was just reading my reply from earlier and doing a bit of googling.

According to the IEC definitions 2oo3 voting (TMR)means that 2 out of the 3 independant channels have to call for the safety function to trip before the safety output de-energises. This is to give high availabilty due to spurious trips on 1 channel along with a high safety rating.

With 1oo2 voting it means that either channel can shut down the system. 1002 systems are more prone to spurious trips.

Siemens is still a 1oo2 unless they have released something new recently.

A link with some interesting reading.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=Dtn6Ey_ItvUC&pg=PA210&lpg=PA210&dq=safety+2oo3+voting&source=bl&ots=Ci3oo3wZwN&sig=jsVMECpPiuUvMUtn_npmGc7eXiM&hl=en&ei=2V7zTNvoKJCIvgO8tZjJDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBoQ6AEwATgo#v=onepage&q=safety%202oo3%20voting&f=false

Regards Alan Case

I was just reading my reply from earlier and doing a bit of googling.

According to the IEC definitions 2oo3 voting (TMR) means that 2 out of the 3 independant channels have to call for the safety function to trip before the safety output de-energises. This is to give high availabilty due to it ignoring spurious trips on 1 channel along with a high safety rating.

With 1oo2 voting it means that either channel can shut down the system. 1002 systems are more prone to spurious trips.

Siemens is still a 1oo2 unless they have released something new recently.

A link with some interesting reading.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id...EwATgo#v=onepage&q=safety 2oo3 voting&f=false

TMR = Triple Machine Redundancy

Regards Alan Case

Thanks for all the replys guys, yes i mean 2oo3 voting transmitters, I know triconix has a saftety add-on built in for this? but does guardlogix and HIMA have this also??

As stated above Siemens

Siemens F Systems support 2oo3

F-Systems supports 2oo3 voter for F-DI and F-AI. The main reason is based on the process industry, which works normally under “Probability of Failure on Demand (PFD)” (means low or on demand) and the use of proven standard measurement devices.
2oo3 evaluation - sensor signal is compared in S7 F Systems using F-block F_2oo3AI.

Siemens Configuring and Programming S7 F/FH

Siemens Industrial Safety Programming

F system Voting and Wiring Architecture

Last edited: