SLC 5/03 Comm Question

mrtweaver

We have a conveyor system which uses a SLC 5/03 PLC system. All available slots in the rack are filled with I/O.

What I am asking here is what would the posters on this site recommend for the following change.

The PLC itself has a serial port on the front. I would like to be able to buy a convertor or some other device, that is reasonably priced to change this serial data in to ethernet. This way I could put the PLC on our network and be able to change the data remotely or even pull the data into our SCADA system. But I am not sure which would be the best option(s) to do this.

SO what would the users on this site recommend?

Thanks and have a great day.

You could install a 1761-neteni or upgrade to a SLC 5/05.
I have used a lot of the NetENI without problems but the choice is up to you.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I am not so familiar with SLCs and do not know what one can use the serial port for. But if it can do modbus - you could use a gateway, modbus-to-ethernet.
HMS has a several gateways.

just my 2 cents

Patrick Lansdorf

I agree with Bob O on using the Net-ENI however, there may be another way. I've used devices from Real Time Automation to acomplish communication issues in the past with great success.