SLC 5/05 not connecting to RSLinx - Comm error 00000005

SeanLCK97

Hi there,

I am doing a site survey for an older plant which my company has started working with. There are mutliple different PLC's around the site, all installed back 15/20 years ago.

I was able to get online, take a backup and compare the offline/online logic on 2 SLC 5/05's on the site. I then went to a different panel with the same model PLC and RSLinx could not connect to the PLC. The RSWho window shows a Comm error 00000005 for the PLC.

When trying to auto-configure every baud rate is tested but eventually fails to configure. I am using the correct Comm Port and the SLC-CH0 Device. I have tried manually inputting the configuration but to no avail.

I have tried reconfiguring the drivers, restarting machine, RSLinx client etc... and still no joy. Has anyone ever experienced power leaking from the RS-232 port on the SLC 5/05? I'm only thinking this as RSLinx/RSLogix has crashed a few times when trying to connect, which I find to be very rare as they are quite reliable softwares.

If anyone has any suggestions for a solution it would be greatly appreciated. I cannot connect via ethernet driver. Could connecting via 1747-UIC solve this issue?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Can you confirm (from the offline project) that channel 0 is set for DF1? Is the port in use?

While it's not impossible the port is bad, it may just be set up for non-default communication (eg DH485, ASCII, etc). ofc just because the offline project says it is set one way doesn't mean it hasn't been changed.

Another good thing to look at is what the channel 0 RS232 indicator light does when there is nothing plugged into that port. If it has a slow blink then DH485 is a good possibility. If it is configured for DF1 it should not show any activity.

If it is set for DH485, a 1747-UIC will probably get you connected. If not, it won't do you any good.

The serial port could be set to DH485, not DF-1, it could also be set to ASCII, or even disabled. Also, the serial port could be malfunctioning.

That one might be all Ethernet programming. If so you would probably have to use WireShark to find the IP address, or if you are luck it might be written on it.

Can you confirm (from the offline project) that channel 0 is set for DF1? Is the port in use?

While it's not impossible the port is bad, it may just be set up for non-default communication (eg DH485, ASCII, etc). ofc just because the offline project says it is set one way doesn't mean it hasn't been changed.

Another good thing to look at is what the channel 0 RS232 indicator light does when there is nothing plugged into that port. If it has a slow blink then DH485 is a good possibility. If it is configured for DF1 it should not show any activity.

If it is set for DH485, a 1747-UIC will probably get you connected. If not, it won't do you any good.

Hi plvlce,

Thanks for your reply! I had checked the previous connections in the most recent backup of the project. This showed multiple DF1 connections. in the top left you can see the driver AB_DF1 and Node 1d.

I will try to check what communication the serial port is set for tomorrow.

With nothing plugged into the serial port the RS232 indicator light is blinking.

I have a 1747-UIC available (However this didn't work when connecting to a SLC 5/02 today so may be defective!) so I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks again for your reply!

The serial port could be set to DH485, not DF-1, it could also be set to ASCII, or even disabled. Also, the serial port could be malfunctioning.

That one might be all Ethernet programming. If so you would probably have to use WireShark to find the IP address, or if you are luck it might be written on it.

Hi I_Automation,

Thanks for the reply!

I will try check what communication is set for the serial port. As there have been many previous connections via DF1 (as seen in most recent backup project) I would assume the driver configured in RSLinx is correct. I could very well be wrong though!

I am using the client's PG which when connected to the switch available can't ping/connect to any devices on the network (With both automatic and static IP addresses for PG). There have been no previous connections via ethernet so would be ideal to stick with RS232/DH485.

Thanks again, will update if there's any progress or new information.

I have a 1747-UIC available (However this didn't work when connecting to a SLC 5/02 today so may be defective!) so I will try this tomorrow.

You do know the UIC has a switch recessed in the side to change between the RJ cable and the DB cable?

Also, this can't be changed when the UIC is plugged in.

You do know the UIC has a switch recessed in the side to change between the RJ cable and the DB cable?

Also, this can't be changed when the UIC is plugged in.

Yes, I am using the Allen Bradley 1747-UIC Series A which has this switch right beside the RJ port. The SLC 5/02 I was trying to connect to was through this RJ port. For this SLC 5/05 I will be changing this switch to the RS232(DH485) port.

Will hopefully connect okay using the UIC, will update tomorrow after I've been on site with the PLC.

Hi plvlce,

Thanks for your reply! I had checked the previous connections in the most recent backup of the project. This showed multiple DF1 connections. in the top left you can see the driver AB_DF1 and Node 1d.

I will try to check what communication the serial port is set for tomorrow.

With nothing plugged into the serial port the RS232 indicator light is blinking.

Thanks again for your reply!

The DF1 driver can be configured to work with the 1747-UIC, so seeing that as the driver doesn't prove anything one way or the other.

The fact that you get blinking with nothing plugged in establishes that it is not configured for DF1. I don't know offhand if other settings can be ruled out just from that, but DH485 is the most likely alternative.

If the controller is set for DH485 but the UIC does not seem to work, one non-obvious possibility to check is the controller's baud rate setting. Out of the box a 1747-UIC can only communicate on the DH485 side at 19200.

There's a technote somewhere giving how to change it if you need to connect to a network that uses a different rate. I've never needed to do it myself, but iirc it involves updating the firmware on the 1747-UIC.